Shortage of escallion!

Reaction score
The other day I went to the farmers market and to my dismay there was absolutely no escallion due to the drought that we've being experiencing; and i so love the distinct taste of escallion i my cooking. I was here thinking to my self what is the best time to grow this crop and how long does it takes to reap.

Reaction score
Hi there! So sorry to hear about your dilemma, I also enjoy scallion! We are having a similar issue, you can still find them at the grocery store, but they cost much more. We had a similar issue with lemons last year.

Reaction score
Hi there! So sorry to hear about your dilemma, I also enjoy scallion! We are having a similar issue, you can still find them at the grocery store, but they cost much more. We had a similar issue with lemons last year.

Yes Trellum it is sad indeed. I am thinking about planting some escallion, do you have any idea as to when is the best time for planting escallion?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The other day I went to the farmers market and to my dismay there was absolutely no escallion due to the drought that we've being experiencing; and i so love the distinct taste of escallion i my cooking. I was here thinking to my self what is the best time to grow this crop and how long does it takes to reap.
You grow scallions and onions during your rainy season. If you are having a drought like I am they will be difficult to grow plus the thrip insect will have to be controlled.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm sorry to hear it, Kammy. I hope you'll be able to find it soon.
I think I've never eaten escallion. I have absolutely no idea what does it taste like. For some reason, I always choose regular onions. I guess I'm just used to them.

Reaction score
You grow scallions and onions during your rainy season. If you are having a drought like I am they will be difficult to grow plus the thrip insect will have to be controlled.

Chuck i think i will try planting some escallions starting in September as that's when we really start to get lots of rain for now i will have to be content with purchasing the over-priced ones at the supermarket.

Reaction score
Escallions (spring onions) grow well in pots.
You could grow them in one or two now, if you have a shady spot for them.

Thanks for the recommendation i will definitely look into this as i did not consider the thought of growing escallion in pots.

Reaction score
I grow about twenty in a 10" dia. florist's bucket with drainage holes drilled in the bottom.

Very impressive indeed i am hoping my produce will be just as fruitful...it would definitely be a blessing.What type of fertilizers do you use when growing your escallions?

Ask a Question