Echinacea

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m in zone 10 (San Diego, CA) and my echinacea plant was done blooming in late fall. From what I read I was supposed to cut the plant down to ground level so I did (eek!) with the faith that it would grow back. The small but of stem that was exposed turned brown and dried out. I pulled at it today and it just gave way. I moved the soil back to inspect the roots and I see bright purple which I’m assuming means it’s still healthy and alive down there. Is this just the natural winter process ? Will the plant start growing again this year? It was so big and beautiful so it’s hard for me to imagine it getting to that stage from where it’s at now. Any wisdom ? Thank you !

Attachments

• IMG_1807.jpeg
    IMG_1807.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It won't grow again if you keep pulling it up. Cover it over with some soil, and hope you don't get any severe frost. Good luck. :)
PS, I usually leave some top on all my perennials to help protect from heavy frosts, and cut back and clean up in the spring when the temperatures improve.

Mike121

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I usually leave some top on all my perennials to help protect from heavy frosts, and cut back and clean up in the spring when the temperatures improve.

This is what we do in our flower gardens at work too. We leave all the foliage on and just kinda pack it down onto the soil. Next spring, we run a weed eater through there right next to the ground, then rake up the loose stuff.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It won't grow again if you keep pulling it up. Cover it over with some soil, and hope you don't get any severe frost. Good luck. :)
PS, I usually leave some top on all my perennials to help protect from heavy frosts, and cut back and clean up in the spring when the temperatures improve.
Thank you . Just to be clear I dont “ keep pulling it up” and never intended to. Some of the stem was visible after I cut it down and I realized after a few months that it was brown and dry . That’s why I gave it a tug to see if it was still attached which it was not . I’m just wondering if the purple root is an indication that it will grow back if not . You say you leave some top on your perennials how much is “some” ? I did what everyone said to do online so is it normal for the 2 inches left sticking out to go dry and brown and disconnect from the root ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is what we do in our flower gardens at work too. We leave all the foliage on and just kinda pack it down onto the soil. Next spring, we run a weed eater through there right next to the ground, then rake up the loose stuff.
Yea I don’t think I’ll be cutting it back again 😞

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure it will be fine - especially if you pop a bit more soil over the top for protection. It is usually a lovely surprise what appears as if by magic with a little warm weather. Don't be despondent. I have often been convinced in the dead of winter that everything has died - it has never been true. Although you win some and maybe lose some nature has a wonderful way of making it all good when springtime comes. Sometimes I've found in my own garden that one plant that disappears will leave a multitude of seedlings, and every spring the garden is full again and bursting with colour. Keep on growing and planting and don't worry - just look forward :cool:

Ask a Question