JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been wanting to bring more awareness to individual North American native species. This first post is about Bush's Coneflower (Echinacea paradoxa). This is the only naturally occurring non-purple "Purple Coneflower". There are many cultivars and hybrids of coneflowers of various colors sold in stores, but this is the real deal. Its native range is just a small area in the U.S., but can be grown just about anywhere in the country with success.

IMG_3161 copy.jpg

IMG_3163 copy.jpg

It's known for being a little slower to establish than other coneflowers, which I can confirm. I had just a few flowers across multiple plants during the second year after growing them from seed, but once you see the first flower bloom, you'll know the wait is worth it. It begins blooming in early summer, weeks before Echinacea purpurea, and around the same time as Echinacea pallida.

IMG_2959 copy.jpg

IMG_3044 copy.jpg

IMG_3125 copy.jpg

So, if you live in the U.S., instead of planting hybrids and cultivars, which can often be altered so badly that they don't have many benefits for wildlife, consider Bush's Coneflower, as well as any of the eight other Echinacea species that grow in the U.S.

IMG_4374 copy.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Perennial if you're not too cold. I expect some to come back.

JB: Stunning, as usual. JB - You're getting boring now. Every photo is stunning. I might need a better command of vocabulary! Hehe!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Does this grow as a perennial or a reseeding annual?

Perennial in zones 3-8, though I've heard it does well in zone 9, too.

JB: Stunning, as usual. JB - You're getting boring now. Every photo is stunning. I might need a better command of vocabulary! Hehe!

Thanks! I can start posting bad photos if you'd like. I have plenty! :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks! I can start posting bad photos if you'd like. I have plenty! :)

Nah! You wouldn't do it. You're a perfectionist! Need to upgrade my camera! Inspiration from your photos. Stunners they are! Ooops, I sound like a groundhog day!

Yes, Echinacea paradoxa are pretty. Fact that they are native to your area is even better. My Echinacea Firebird, Tanz yellow are still in the propagator.

Ask a Question