Coneflowers

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought four new coneflower plants last year that were beautiful! But so far, this year, I haven't seen any sign of life! Aren't all coneflowers perennials?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Don't give up. They could be slow emerging.I had a clump that came up every year for about six years, then a very cold winter killed them. They are very pretty and the flower does last for a long time. Flowers sort of like a rocket flying through the air.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! I hope they come back. I have some that were planted a couple of years ago and the leaves have already emerged. We had a mild winter here so I'm sure that's not the reason. Someone told me that some coneflowers are not perennials. But the card that was with them said perennial.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I bought four new coneflower plants last year that were beautiful! But so far, this year, I haven't seen any sign of life! Aren't all coneflowers perennials?

Coneflowers are perennial, but hybrids and cultivars can be weaker than the true wild species. Being that they're so altered, it may also cause them to start growing later in the Spring. Consider planting the true native Echinacea purpurea. If you want something of a different color, Echinacea paradoxa is another great US native. Echinacea pallida is not half bad, either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Its hard to tell; you didn't say where you live or what your usda gardening zone is.

But coneflowers are typically perennials, depending where you live.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Coneflowers are perennial, but hybrids and cultivars can be weaker than the true wild species. Being that they're so altered, it may also cause them to start growing later in the Spring. Consider planting the true native Echinacea purpurea. If you want something of a different color, Echinacea paradoxa is another great US native. Echinacea pallida is not half bad, either.
Thank you! I guess that might be the problem.
Its hard to tell; you didn't say where you live or what your usda gardening zone is.

I live in St. Louis Mo. Zone 5/6.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Don't give up on them yet. I have some coneflowers where new growth hasn't started to show yet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't give up on them yet. I have some coneflowers where new growth hasn't started to show yet.
That's encouraging to know! It just seemed strange that all four I bought last year hasn't returned yet. I could see one or two but all of them?? Hopefully I am just impatient. Thank you so much!

Ask a Question