Do Okra roots grow deep?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am trying to grow okra in a 2.5 gallon container. I know it has a taproot but I am not sure how how long this taproot will need to grow.

Thanks for any advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know how deep they go but when mine have stopped producing for the year I cannot pull them up and I am plenty strong.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Even if it's just one okra plant, I think a 2 1/2 gal. container is too small. Can you tell us the variety of okra? Some are larger than others, and that may make a difference (but I still think the pot is too small:)).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Even if it's just one okra plant, I think a 2 1/2 gal. container is too small. Can you tell us the variety of okra? Some are larger than others, and that may make a difference (but I still think the pot is too small:)).

It is the red burgundy okra...:(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
According to the two seed catalogs I have that listed it, Red Burgundy grows to 3 or 4 feet tall. I think you could get by with a 5 gallon pail for each plant.
Good choice--beautiful plant and according to the catalogs, very prolific.
(I didn't mean to rain on your parade--just trying to keep you from being disappointed:oops:).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
According to the two seed catalogs I have that listed it, Red Burgundy grows to 3 or 4 feet tall. I think you could get by with a 5 gallon pail for each plant.
Good choice--beautiful plant and according to the catalogs, very prolific.
(I didn't mean to rain on your parade--just trying to keep you from being disappointed:oops:).
I think that even a 5 gallon is iffy. I almost always grow some Red Burgundy and 4ft is minimal, 5ft is more realistic. But it isn't the height that is bothersome. Mine end up looking like Christmas trees and in a bucket will be top heavy, plus the fact that they like it HOT maintaining correct moisture will be problematic as they have a substantial feeder root system.

One thing I have never figured out is why when you cook it, it turns green and loses the red color.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Chuck, there are purple beans that when steamed or boiled turn green--I've never figured it out, either!
Do you like the Red Burgundy better than other varieties? I've only had experience with Cowhorn, and that stuff gets really tall (7' or so, and I don't exaggerate).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, there are purple beans that when steamed or boiled turn green--I've never figured it out, either!
Do you like the Red Burgundy better than other varieties? I've only had experience with Cowhorn, and that stuff gets really tall (7' or so, and I don't exaggerate).
I like the Burgundy for pickling more than the other common varieties. What I mainly grow is an unadulterated green okra from Poland, a seed passed down from generation to generation since 1827 when the Polish settlers settled in Castroville and Bandera. I was given some of this seed a few years ago and have been growing it ever since. It seems to have adapted to Texas weather. There is a variety called Becks that I think is the same thing although not as pure a strain. On a good year this okra easily reaches 8ft tall and 4 ft wide. It is a small tree and will produce an astonishing amount.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a spare row in my behind the shop garden . Do you think Red Burgundy or White Cowhorn ? I like short tender okra with tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a spare row in my behind the shop garden . Do you think Red Burgundy or White Cowhorn ? I like short tender okra with tomatoes.
When you say short do you mean the okra pods or the plants. If pods, go online and get Becks Big Buck. Picked young they are larger in diameter and very tender. If plants, my daughter lives in an apartment and she grows Burpee Baby Bubba in 4 gallon buckets very successfully and it is an excellent producer. The trick to super tender okra is early picking.

Ask a Question