Dish Soap for Lawn Fungus?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last weekend I saw slight fungus in my lawn again, by the way it’s not an extreme case this time. However, the fungus started spreading now.

KUqXMh1-2.jpg

Last winter, when I used fungicide on my lawn, it left brown patch on my lawn. So this time, I’m planning to use some other solution and found that the dish soap can kill the lawn fungus. Nevertheless, It is also said that the dish wash can harm the turf grass. I’m quite confused that should I use dish soap or not? Can someone help me regarding this. If someone used dish soap in the lawn for killing the pests and fungus- Please share your opinion!

Here is the article I am referring to :
https://birdandfeather.com/does-dish-soap-kill-grass/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That may well be a beneficial fungi. Or a spiderweb. Hard to tell. You say again? Any pics of the big outbreak? Its eating something. What is it eating?

A lot of people do not know that dishes are cleaned with detergents and not soaps. You are confused by the slang use of the words- dish soap. Where a soap may have some uses around plants, detergents are designed to kill and sanitize. They have very aggressive properties toward sticky proteins and oils or fats. We used Dawn as an antiviral sanitizer during covid. It is made with petroleum products and has a solvent nature. A soap, like a baby shampoo or the cheap car wash products with no waxes that leave wax on your car are more like what you would use around plants.

If you want organic controls things like corn meal to promote trichoderma or agri-fos are useful. Still, without identifying the fungus you are blindfolded swinging a stick at the fungal pinata hoping to hit it and get some satisfaction.

Last edited:

Ask a Question