Diesel Shortage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've heard the eastern US is predicting diesel shortages for big trucks. Not sure how they figure the west won't be affected but it will.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
There may be just a little more interest in veggie gardening...when the food on the shelves is missing. Just a little, LOL

My problem right now is figuring out what to do with it all as our daily harvest is really off the charts.

Three tractors and a bulldozer each full of diesel. National Hurricane Center predicting a major hurricane off the Texas coast within the next two weeks. Things could get really interesting, really fast.

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
When there is a war, there will be people affected. Russia is the largest country in the world and the first in natural resources. We in Bulgaria have stocks of wheat for two years (the territory of the country is small) for now the country has introduced a ban on wheat exports.

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Stock up on wheat or flour, store it properly as well. I mention it very seriously, without scaring anyone.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ukraine was a really big wheat producer, but most of it went to the Middle East. I am guessing that it will be the usual story, someone will make a huge profit because of shortages, and a lot of people in second and third world countries will starve. But not us, we will pay through the nose but get fed.

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
You have a lot of fertile land, which will probably have to increase wheat production in the UK in the future. By the way, until years ago, Georgia did not produce wheat at all, relying mainly on imports from Russia, and local wheat will gradually resume in Georgia (country) due to the war and global problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I don't believe anything from CNBC
HaHa your curmudgeon is showing! Yeah I agree that a financial sales oriented show is suspect. But I prefer many sources. Warren Buffet recently took a position related to fuel shortages and higher margins for example.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HaHa your curmudgeon is showing! Yeah I agree that a financial sales oriented show is suspect. But I prefer many sources. Warren Buffet recently took a position related to fuel shortages and higher margins for example.
IMO diesel fuel here is already at $5.69 which is well above the $200 per barrel. And until our fearless leader emerges from his coma and admits and changes his insane policies prices will continue to rise. It seems to me that all of these "news organizations" are just trying to whitewash what is actually happening and continuing to apply their rose colored glasses view of the much vaunted Green New Deal. I don't believe any of them. I believe what I see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
USA Chart:
FSP0CfjXoAAIh84.png

One interesting point I came across is that some refineries make diesel from soy oils. I did not know that was a commercial thing. I thought it was more a boutique idea, like someone making diesel in their barn with one of those diesel kits that god popular during the Great Recession. Fats too - I remember restaurants guarding their grease dumpsters from theft because they were selling their waste oils.

If soy is available cheaply as a result, that 48% protien content makes for some decent organic fertilizer at 5-6% N.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
USA Chart:View attachment 89909

One interesting point I came across is that some refineries make diesel from soy oils. I did not know that was a commercial thing. I thought it was more a boutique idea, like someone making diesel in their barn with one of those diesel kits that god popular during the Great Recession. Fats too - I remember restaurants guarding their grease dumpsters from theft because they were selling their waste oils.

If soy is available cheaply as a result, that 48% protien content makes for some decent organic fertilizer at 5-6% N.
You are correct. Diesel is a weak fertilizer. This is why ranchers here use diesel and molasses to get rid of brush. The diesel kills the roots and the molasses brings back the soil microbes which changes the diesel into a form plants can uptake. Gasoline kills roots better than diesel and is much cheaper than diesel but molasses cannot purify gasoline nearly as good as it can diesel.

Ask a Question