Dessimated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone identify these caterpillar like grubs, they have totally dessimated the red berry bush this year....completely stripped all the leaves in a matter of days...Yes I took my eye off the ball....so cut the whole bush back and binned all the grubs....and sprayed what was left......

Attachments

• 20170529_080243.jpg
    20170529_080243.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 218
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can anyone identify these caterpillar like grubs, they have totally dessimated the red berry bush this year....completely stripped all the leaves in a matter of days...Yes I took my eye off the ball....so cut the whole bush back and binned all the grubs....and sprayed what was left......
Looks like Army Worms to me. Spray everything in sight with Bt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I got told they were Saw Fly larvae...sounds about right....I waged war and I have taken back control...mast keep a more watchful eye

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like Army Worms to me. Spray everything in sight with Bt.
B.t. (Bacillus thuringensis) will not be effective on sawfly larvae. It only works on caterpillars (Lepidoptera larvae).

Sawflies (Symphyta) are relatives of Ants, Bees, and Wasps (Hymenoptera).
However, Sawfly adults do not sting, unlike many of there more well-known kin.
There are over 8,000 described species of Sawfly.

The sawfly pictured in the OP is the Gooseberry Sawfly (Euura ribesii, formerly Nematus ribesii), in the family Tenthredinidae. This species feeds on the foliage of Currants and Gooseberries (Ribes spp.).
Yes, in large numbers, the larvae can indeed decimate the leaves on a berry bush.
Originally native to Europe, it is now found in many parts of the world where Currants and Gooseberries are grown.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rbissoon29

Latest Threads