Delete account

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Out of sincere curiosity I've never understood why almost all discussion forums lack a delete account feature? I've participated in other forums with different topics that turned out to be forums that I do not want to associate with, yet, could not delete my account even after asking the owner politely.

Just curious is all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Out of sincere curiosity I've never understood why almost all discussion forums lack a delete account feature? I've participated in other forums with different topics that turned out to be forums that I do not want to associate with, yet, could not delete my account even after asking the owner politely.

Just curious is all.

The easy solution is in the previous post.

I no longer post on a couple of boards where there's little board etiquette practiced by some. Deleting the web address from Firefox means I can't accidently log on to those boards.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Just curious is all.
As I understand it @The Zen Master, if someone has joined and made a few posts, any replies to those posts would probably make a nonsense of the threads they were posted in. If there were even only a half dozen threads, it would disrupt the smooth running of the forum for all readers.
Can you imagine if a dozen different members simply deleted their account and had made contributions to several threads, the whole forum would be in total chaos.
I can quite understand then why it is not an accepted concept, and personally I would be prepared to accept this fact before I contributed anything at all.
As we use the threads and add our thoughts, we are given the chance to change our minds and delete whatever we wrote at the time and for a short while afterwards, which I see as perfectly fair and acceptable :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are forums that turned out to hold people and ideas I want nothing to do with, and while I can understand the thread argument in favor of perpetuating a membership for the sake of thread continuity, I would prefer that any prior posts I may have made show up as "Former Member" in the threads, as opposed to being associated with said site forever, against my wishes.

Now, I use aliases and alias email accounts when I register on any forum. Also, I have no Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tick-toc, or Google etc. etc. etc., accounts of any kind. I quit Facebook and Twitter about 7-years ago and never even thought about creating anything Google associated - I knew that Google was bad juju first time I ever heard the name back in 2000. Instinctively the first words out of my mouth when I heard the name Google was "it's a CIA front."

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can very well understand your feelings on the matter, as I have also experienced this sort of account, and I daresay many people have. I believe it to be usual in these kind of circumstances for the title to change to ''guest'' on request, and what I understand would in fact happen on this particular forum. Using an alias is what I understood to be usual anyway. If people want to use their actual name it is a case of their own choice on the boards.
I certainly don't want people to know that I belong to the royal family - it's just not done :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I really can't see what is the problem.
Any board to which I don't want to contribute any more for whatever reason, I just delete the web address.
Anything I've posted and this applies to everyone, soon bleeds off the bottom of the page and is eventually forgotten.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Any board to which I don't want to contribute any more for whatever reason, I just delete the web address.
Anything I've posted and this applies to everyone, soon bleeds off the bottom of the page and is eventually forgotten.
No problem I'm just talking (typing). Its a slow day!

I've looked for quantum physics and philosophy forums but they are all populated by snooty academic types and I don't get along with those folks so its amateur gardening for me! :D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anything I've posted and this applies to everyone, soon bleeds off the bottom of the page and is eventually forgotten
Careful SR, I`ve noticed there could be someone on here who does tend to drag up threads out of the ark :nailbiting:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No problem I'm just talking (typing). Its a slow day!

I've looked for quantum physics and philosophy forums but they are all populated by snooty academic types and I don't get along with those folks so its amateur gardening for me! :D
Oh please don't mention quantum physics - I shall get another one of my headaches
1626645703372.png

Ask a Question