Decimalisation

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Fifty years ago today the U.K. adopted decimalisation.

The new system kept the old pound but changed the amount of pennies in it from 240 to 100.

Before this the currency started with the Farthing, two of these made a Halfpenny or Ha'penny. Two Ha'pennies made a Penny. Three Pennies made a Thrupenny bit, two Thrupennies made a Sixpence or Tanner. Two Tanners made a Shilling or Bob. Two Bob made a Florin. One Florin plus a Tanner made a Half Crown. Two of these made a Crown and Four Crowns made a Pound.

One Pound and a Shilling made a Guinea.

The Brits resisted Decimalisation for years saying it was too complicated :eek:

This was the old Pound note, my first wage packet had four of them in :)

memorylane (2).jpg

And this was the old 10 Shilling note, it's been replaced by a small 7 sided coin...

memorylane (3).jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Tetters found this to add :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
My first wage after leaving school at seventeen in 1957 was £6 a week.

After getting an increase in pay, I bought my first car in early 1958. It was a bit of a blow when with the budget that year, petrol went up to 4/- a gallon (20p) and Flowers keg bitter to 2/- a pint (10p).
I've no idea of the price of a packet of cigarettes back then, as I've never smoked.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first wage after leaving school at seventeen in 1957 was £6 a week.

After getting an increase in pay, I bought my first car in early 1958. It was a bit of a blow when with the budget that year, petrol went up to 4/- a gallon (20p) and Flowers keg bitter to 2/- a pint (10p).
I've no idea of the price of a packet of cigarettes back then, as I've never smoked.
I did! A packet of fags was about 10d. My first job (60 hours a week) plus live in and food was £2.10/-
In the late 60`s our new mini van was £400 and our 2 bedroom bungalow £4,000

And grannie was right - when it came to doing the shopping it was a great big rip off as everything was rounded up to fit in. Nothing went down a ha`penny did it.

A pair of winkle pickers could be bought for 19/11 and a posh pair would set you back 39/11.
I had another job in a dress shop and sold clothes in guineas .... '' thank you Madam, that will be three and a half guineas'' :rolleyes:
that`s £3. 13/6

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have never figured out the Brit money system. Here in Oklahoma money is based on the penny. One penny = a cent, 5 penny = a nickle, 10 pennies = a dime, 25 pennies = a quarter, and 50 pennies= a half dollar. 100 pennies = a dollar, which is the smallest paper note.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now we have decimalisation it`s all in 10 and multiples thereof - so boring. I still tend to work things out in pounds, shillings and pence now when shopping - makes me think crikey that`s expensive! One pound sixteen shillings -just for a pot of white pepper!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We also measure our temperature in the modern way -Celcius rather than Fahrenheit ...... so we seem to be a bit ahead of you people in the USA don`t you still just use Fahrenheit ? Come on - catch up a bit :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Now we have decimalisation it`s all in 10 and multiples thereof - so boring. I still tend to work things out in pounds, shillings and pence now when shopping - makes me think crikey that`s expensive! One pound sixteen shillings -just for a pot of white pepper!!

As we often say, "What's that in real money?"

When my future wife and I moved into our flat in Soho in 1959, we were paying £8 a week rent. That was as much as I earned. Fortunately as "temp" shorthand typist, she was earning twice what I was earning so we weren't that hard up.

£8 in 1959 would be about £190 today.
You wouldn't be able to rent the same flat now for as little as that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We also measure our temperature in the modern way -Celcius rather than Fahrenheit ...... so we seem to be a bit ahead of you people in the USA don`t you still just use Fahrenheit ? Come on - catch up a bit :D

I can work with celcius but I convert it my head to Fahrenheit when it comes to assessing the ambient temperature.

Enginereering has a history of different standards. Nuts and bolts can come in BSF (British Standard Fine) Metric or Whitworth.

Our eldest son, a consultant engineer ordered twenty years ago, some cabinets for electrical switchgear from America. The specifications for the dimentions were in metric.
The suppliers didn't notice it and made them in feet and inches! They were huge! and useless.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We use Fahrenheit in a general way, but Our science, out aviation industry, and medical community all use Celsius. We are catching up to the rest of the world, not just you Brits. You've never really gotten over losing the United States to Independence , have you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We use Fahrenheit in a general way, but Our science, out aviation industry, and medical community all use Celsius. We are catching up to the rest of the world, not just you Brits. You've never really gotten over losing the United States to Independence , have you?

Sorry to disappoint you, but we don't give it a second thought, we wouldn't want to have inherited your present problems, (no offence).

We've had to experience far more important wars since and we've recently had a struggle to regain our own independence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rbissoon29

Latest Threads