Dealing with Ivy (removal)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard it said so many times," Oh you'll never get rid of Ivy". In recent months we've had the pleasure of restoring the garden of a former Victorian vicarage here in Somerset. When I first looked at the garden, the owners felt they were fighting a loosing battle, Ivy up the walls over fences up trees and swamping large areas of garden. I explained there is no instant fix but patience ( a lot of it) and some hard work will be needed to sort this one. Here's how we tackled it.
The large areas of garden which were completely covered were sprayed with SBK brushwood killer, every two or three weeks, this weakened the Ivy but it did not change colour much, dull green instead of glossy green, we then sprayed with Glyphosphate based weed killer two occasions and left for further two weeks, also sprayed walls and fences where no other plants sited.After the last spraying waited two weeks then started pulling the Ivy out, i am pleased to say it cam away so easily, dare I say it was quite an enjoyable task. As far as the walls etc are concerned the Ivy was cut at the base and then scraped off with wallpaper scraper and old secateurs. The areas on the ground are now clean, have been dug compost applied and replanting is complete.a liberal application of wood chip applied to keep weeds down and moisture in.Happy customers and no Ivy !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Glyphosate super strength kills ivy....dead.
A single spray is all it takes....ordinary regular strength glyphosate is ineffective. The foliage simply shrugs it off.
Last autumn I sprayed ivy that had been growing for several years over an old outhouse. Difficult to access, digging was not an option so super strength glyphosate was applied.....a touch or so of detergent too. Ivy killed within 2 weeks.
This spring I did the same thing to ivy swamping the toolshed with the same result. Now completely gone. Similarly in a friend's garden.....hmmm! Near 6 acres!!!.....I also cleared areas prior to planting early this year using strong glyphosate.
I fear when glyphosate is banned....for sure it will be....we will be left without really effective weed control so best to use it now whilst we can
For ivy where access is available or where it is growing into shrubs etc., I sever the main ivy stems about 20 cm or so above ground. Sever the stems just above too to allow SBK to be painted onto the cut areas. Again totally effective....the advantage of sbk is it can be used outside the growing season so a job that can effectively be done during warm spells in winter.
I too once believed ivy was an impossible plant to kill chemically....the foliage must be bruised etc., before treatment and repeated applications will be needed was the offered advice.
On a practical weeding level ivy in the open ground is easy to remove manually. Surface rooting so easily pulled up. :)
The dead foliage becomes brittle after a couple of months and is then easy to remove without damaging walls or plants
Important to note, SBK is used on woodymaterial; I dont think it is effective on soft green tissue. Glyphosate is effective only on actively growing green tissue

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
We find that SBK Will stunt Ivy, it takes a bit of time though. When Ivy has very thick stems that even loppers struggle to cut I personally favour using both weed killers separately at different times.
That of course is my preference and other people may deal with Ivy a different way.No right or wrong in this case but whatever works to get rid of the stuff.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With very thick stems a couple of holes or cuts with a saw or blade help sbk to lodge on the cut areas Robert. :)
I think we agree though, ivy can be eradicated by one or both of these chemicals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Yes of course, both the chemicals we've mentioned will do the job and I do believe there are a couple more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had some very aggressive Virginia Creeper growing up the side of my house, as in under the siding and in through the windows even! I swear it grew a foot per day.

I try to avoid using man-made chemicals whenever possible, but the glycophosphate (brand name RoundUp here) for stumps and ivy flat out worked, one application. I applied it only to the creeper; within a few weeks grass and other stuff was growing back but it's been three years and that damn vine has stayed gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Wow Beth, Virginia creeper is pretty quick growing here too, but not that quick! Glad the Glycogen worked for you quickly.I would prefer not to use man made chemicals by choice but have to say some of the weeds and pests that are around seem to have us beat without chemicals, so I guess if needs must then that's what we have to do.

Ask a Question