Curing Meats and Jerky

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Out of the cure after 3 days, dried on a rack in the fridge for another day or so, and now in the roaster at 210f for a center at 150f. It is 120f now, so maybe I will have a late breakfast.

IMG_20181219_083932.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
And I have labored to produce....drum roll, please....

IMG_20181219_105644.jpg

A ham. Dangit- am so dissappointed. Interesting the sage flavors came through. Fresh gets it done I guess. It had fressh garlic too. Nice texture, even heating. Definitely gonna work out for a pork jerky but I have to dump this recipe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Before ditching the recipe I would eliminate the refrigerator time. I would also eliminate the curing salts. I use kosher salt and it works fine. Don’t get discouraged. I made a lot of dog food before I got it right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I really believe that meat in an egg mcmuffin is more of a pickled flavor. Since corned beef is on my wish list, I think I will go down that road. Maybe without the cure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
One of my innovations on pork loin is no brine, no rub and heavy fruit wood smoke to 100 degrees F. Remove, wrap in aluminum foil, and bake at 225 degrees F until it has reached an internal temp of 165. Let it rest in the foil. These loins have a lot of flavor on their own. I like to taste the meat more than the seasonings. This also works with venison loin but only to 130 degrees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Soaked it and rinsed it all far better this time. I added nutmeg in the cure. It makes my knees weak because of how good it smells on the dehydrator!

IMG_20181221_201427.jpg

It got the same common meat marinade with added black and crushed red pepper..and a taste of chili powder and a midge of paprika

8lbs 6 oz. I think I will measure it done..unless I taste test too much for a meaningful water loss drop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not a great deal of difference between ham and CB. I have had more then one brand if not sliced thin would have called it ham. I also suspect some pizza places use ham in the place of CB on pizza.
All you may have to do is get the moisture content of the meat down so it is firm and slices thin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not a great deal of difference between ham and CB. I have had more then one brand if not sliced thin would have called it ham. I also suspect some pizza places use ham in the place of CB on pizza.
All you may have to do is get the moisture content of the meat down so it is firm and slices thin.

What I am finding is that after the cure, including nitrite as some cures on the internet claim the name cure but do not include nitrites, is that the cure promotes tenderness and cellular disintagration.

Once soaked to soften the sodium of cure, the marinade should then contain meat tenderizers or not be considered a proper jerky cure. The common meat marinades in the grocery aisle meet this standard, and I add pepper mainly but sometime chili powder and a little nutmeg lately.

Ask a Question