Crop circles

Reaction score
Fairy rings are caused by soil borne fungi that are naturally occurring in the soil underneath a lawns surface. The ring have no detrimental effect on the quality of the turf. They consist only of mushrooms or toadstools. These mushrooms or toadstools may be in rings, arcs, lines, patches or solitary. They can be removed by brushing or mowing, which will also help to prevent the spores being spread.

Fairy ring develops most frequently in soil that is high in organic matter, such as undecomposed thatch. Apply adequate nitrogen. Remove thatch periodically. Aerate the soil to improve water penetration and apply water in the holes everyday for 3 to 10 days.

Reaction score
What a fascinating thread, I can't help but wonder, have you set up a video camera to check for aliens landing and creating these crop circles? Sorry, couldn't resist!

We have had a lot of trouble with mushrooms (haven't seen a fairy yet though) since having a large tree removed. They pop up in various areas, sometimes arcs, sometimes circles.

Always within the radius of what would be the root system from the tree. My guess would be it's from the rotting roots? I haven't worried about it much since it's not unsightly in the yard, the area is where my garden is and the mushrooms are overshadowed by the vegetables and flowers, but this does make me wonder, could this be a problem with my crops? Should I take some active steps to get rid of them or just let them run their course?

Ask a Question