Crocosmia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The good, named varieties can be really good, but I see an awful lot that are from a piece that someone gave them and which are lousy; loads and loads of leaves for a few insignificant flowers. I would say be particular about what you get. I suppose that is true of most things, but especially so with crocosmia.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora 'Solfatare' is a historic cultivar, bred in 1886 by Lemoine in France. It is also a plant of distinctive appearance, with orange-yellow flowers strikingly set off by bronze-green foliage. It long held an Award of Garden Merit from the Royal Horticultural Society, but this was rescinded in 2016 (scandal!). The reasons given for the rescission include that the leaves and flowers were an unattractive color combination (purely subjective, and based on stodgy aesthetics) and that it was not a vigorous grower (perhaps some truth there).
Crocosmia-Solfatare-3.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They are prolific and spread like crazy. Fortunately they dig up easily. We have a lot of clumps of red ones. The hummingbirds love them.
Oh to have humming birds! Here in Cornwall (Sothern England) they grow wild and are a feature of Cornish lanes. enough tourists have seen them to make them a feature beneath hedges and on banks at the edge of many gardens right across the Home Counties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My cousin lives in Cornwall - right down in the South (East?) They get hummingbirds. From my experience in my travels, I think Crocosmia will grow just about anywhere - on the other hand, so will spurge, which is hard to eradicate.... and we have both :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I our area, Zone 10a, they grow well and do better - flowering - when given some shade.

Ask a Question