Creeping Jenny

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in the process of redoing our yard and gardens. I had completely cleared a plot out (except a few plants i had planted and enjoy). The previous owners had creeping jenny growing at the edge of the plot. I decided I didnt want it anymore (it hasn't been looking its best the past year or or so). I also needed a place to plant all my creeping thyme.So yesterday I spent hours trying to dismember the complicated root system. My question is how long after removing it can i plant something else? Im worried it might not really be gone and is going to choke out my creeping thyme that I have grown since it was just a seed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Creeping jenny is hard to get rid of because it sends out runners, I have it coming up in my lawn and I just mow it down. You can plant your creeping thyme any time you want, I don't think the creeping jenny will choke it out if you keep pulling it out when you see it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If it's anything like creeping charlie, I agree with Fernsdaddy. You'll never completely eradicate it from your garden, but if you are vigilant about selectively pulling it out of where you don't want it, the thyme will conquer!

I find that wherever I heavily mulch, it's much, much easier to pull out the long root runners.

Ask a Question