Cover this slab

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our home sits on a big chunk of slab. It’s a nice elevation but I’m constantly bombing at landscaping. I’ve put several different plants and the freeze has taken them all. I’m in San Antonio TX… the slab is about 3ft. I just want it covered with something that won’t die on me.. there is a water line sort of in the middle of the flower bed so I have to plant close to the slab itself… any recommendations would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_5731.jpeg
    IMG_5731.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5732.jpeg
    IMG_5732.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is if you want to hide the slab all year round.
My first step would be to actually "hide the slab." You could paint it to match the colour of the brickwork. If you're at all artistic, you could even paint bricks on it. It then would become just part of the wall.
Next step, is to string horizontal wires along it, to support whatever you want to grow up it. You don't have to stop at just 3ft high. A quicker solution would be a clematis or an ivy, slower would be wisteria, even slower would be quince.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What exactly is the slab? Is it limestone? Does the bed get sun all the time? Is the bed prone to strong winds?
I have always been under the impression that Texas was too hot most of the time.
Would it not be possible to plant on the outside of the bed on the other side of the water line?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What exactly is the slab? Is it limestone? Does the bed get sun all the time? Is the bed prone to strong winds?
I have always been under the impression that Texas was too hot most of the time.
Would it not be possible to plant on the outside of the bed on the other side of the water line?
The slab is all concrete. The house sits on this foundation and I’m guessing the grade of the ground was the reason for such a huge chunk of foundation to be placed. The flower bed get all day sun. Though I have an oak tree above it filters some of the sun but it’s still pretty hot during the summer. Not much wind.

I’ve tried to get out water co to come out and let me know where the water line is exactly but they won’t unless it’s public property. So I have to hire someone to find the line.
I’m sure I can plant in front and behind the line. Just need to find out where it is. I did have a pride of Barbados but the winter killed it even under my plant protector:(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh! That would make me swear I'm afraid :( but there's always a solution. My first thoughts would be that planting anything there could interfere with your water supply with roots so close to pipes, and not only that, if it gets sun all day it is prone to dry out and burn! SO camouflage seems to be the easiest option.
How about building a simple canopy with timber, and draping shade netting on it. You could paint the slab in a terracotta colour, or whatever you prefer, and use the space to make a collection of containers, and gradually plant the containers. The plants would appreciate the shade, and as long as the compost contains some kind of reservoir for watering purposes. It would be a challenge, but probably quite effective.
1712694090835.png

It took me ages to find this image, but it's about the best I could come up with. It might be a good place to put an easy chair as well, because if you do it, you will need a rest now and then.....in the shade. 😃

Ask a Question