Corno do toro peppers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Started them and they took the normal 10 days to germinate but it’s been 3 weeks and they really haven’t changed much compared to my banana pepper they still are seedlings. Is this normal for this type of pepper if not I’m gonna pitch them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
In my experience, all peppers are, to some extent, restrained by their environment.
It may just be that they are slow, and, certainly at this stage, I wouldn't be concerned, but I'd also give each a 3-4" pot each, just to make sure that if they want to grow, they have room to.
I'm growing 3 varieties of ox-horn peppers this year, (Palermo, Romano and Thor) as, at least in my climate, they seem far more rewarding than blocky bells.
One further point; if you keep them where they are, then, since you have probably watered out most of the nutrients, I'd look to feed them a very dilute multi-purpose feed soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This year I planted Ancho, Annaheim, Cubanelle, Corno De Toro and Acanaugua. All were planted at the same time and had the same soil. To date the Corno De Toro is the smallest with Ancho being the biggest. I am in the process of putting them all in the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I cheated and used starter plants for all my peppers. They are all usually pretty slow starters though. I've never heard of this variety though... So many to try!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am seeding some peppers:
Beaver Dam mild
Pizza Mild
Tequila Sunrise mild
Little Elf hot
Mexican Jellybean hot
tangerine dream mild
sweet red bell
And some of Aunt Ruby's german green tomato.

Actually I discovered a stash of seeds a friend had sent me some years ago and thought oh boy better use it or lose it. This thread inspired me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think we need a "pepper review thread" so we're can all part reviewed of the various pepper varieties we have tried. There are so many varieties out there, I have not heard of a lot of these!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I found some cow horn hot peppers! Why is this important? Because 1 cow horn pepper, 1 clove garlic, 1 tsp salt and a small bag of dried black eyed peas makes a little cuban style hush puppy style fritter called a bollo. Try some sometime!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I found some cow horn hot peppers! Why is this important? Because 1 cow horn pepper, 1 clove garlic, 1 tsp salt and a small bag of dried black eyed peas makes a little cuban style hush puppy style fritter called a bollo. Try some sometime!
DM, do you rehydrate the peas? Do you cook them before mixing with the other ingredients? I am always up for a new taste!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Soak them until the skins slip. You are after a certain consistency paste and only dried peas will provide it. Then a food processor, and using a rounded TEAspoon make the bollos small and drop them in hot oilfor A good fry.

Ask a Question