Computers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've had several computers and laptops over the years, starting with a basic 4M "dial up" over 20 years ago.
The one I've been using for a few years is a second-hand HP i5, with fingerprint recognition and other nonsense, I don't use not even a password as it never leaves the house. It was a replacement for a rubbish Lenovo that my local computer shop sold and set up for me for £300, transferring everything over from the Lenovo. I back-up photos and mp3s on separate hard drives.Financial stuff is only on the separate hard drives.
It needed a new mother board a year ago which they replaced at cost and lately I've got a white line a couple of millimetres wide down the edge of the screen. (only noticeable on my black desktop). The socket where it plugs in is a bit loose.
On Saturday it gave up the ghost and wouldn't start.

So I was already thinking about getting a new one. My wife (who wants nothing to do with computers), said "don't get a cheap one get a decent one you can afford it!"
But I don't need an all singing and dancing one. Just to be able to send e-mails, access the internet, download stuff and play or burn CDs.
For years, I'd used Excel to run my financial stuff, but once when changing computers Microsoft wanted me to pay for it again! I think it was around £80. I use "Open Office," a free programme which does everything Excel did for me.

I looked on Curry's website. They've a lot of machines, 444. I settled on an HP at £499.
I was going to go to Curry's today, but this morning I noticed the mains lead had come out of the laptop's adapter. It's hidden behind my chair and I was on my hands and knees looking for a sim card from one of the trailcams I'd dropped and I notice it.
So I plugged it in and it was up and running again!

I may still get another computer and copy everything over piecemeal. But at the moment I can't be bothered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
My current HP (Hewlett Packard) laptop is 10 months old and replaced my old HP that was slowly giving up the ghost. I checked out various other makes but decided to stick with HP as they've not given me any problems.

My other half is about to change his old HP and has been considering an Asus (not Acer) which have had good reports. My son owns one and rates it well - being a computer 'techy'. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found a guy in Tunbridge wells who fixes computers and also sells ones he has reconditioned, I had just bought myself an Asus, because it was about the cheapest, and it is doing very well, but I think I may well get my next one from him.
The companies also recondition their own old machines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clarachite

Latest Threads