Cherries are small and falling off the tree

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The only fruit tree I have is a miniature cherry that I put in 3 years ago. In it's second year it produced very few cherries. This is it's third year and I got excited because by the end of May it was covered in blossoms and then many cherries began to form. Most of these cherries never fully formed an have fallen off. Is that common for a young tree? - pic attached

Attachments

• losing cherries.jpg
    losing cherries.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 90
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is and it isn't. Like most fruit trees it will set much more fruit than the tree can sustain and therefore drop many fruits. If your tree is not self-fertile it will also drop fruit because of lack of pollination. If your tree is self-fertile it could be because of cold weather at the time of fruit set or some other weather related event. It will also drop fruit if the tree is in bad or mediocre health. If your tree produces more fruit this year than last year but is still a poor crop, fertilization then becomes an issue. The age of the tree is also an issue. More than likely your tree is just too young to support many fruit. Next year will should be a big year for production if you properly fertilize the tree.

Ask a Question