Celosia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all. New to this forum. I'm from the philadelphia area and enjoy planting flowers in a 20 foot diameter bed. I have a question for the group... This year and last year this bed was invaded and completed overcome by tall celosia and cocks crown. I have no idea where they've come from as I never planted any. Would like to move them to a plot i have in the backyard. So...
1. where do you think the invaders came from and how to get rid of them - move to a different location?
2. I understand that some of them may be self seeding. Do i have to collect the seeds for next year or just let them brown out, laydown and reseed themselves?
Thanks for any answers. Looking forward to this forum experience as I have never joined one before.
Thanks,
Greg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Greg. :) I've not heard of Cocks Crown, do you know it's botanical name please? Celosia are prolific seeders so it's understandable your flower bed is full. The seeds can lay dormant in the ground so you are likely to see them for a few years yet. You have a choice of digging the plants out as they grow, or prune off the flower heads before they go to seed. Below is a video on saving the seed. This done you can scatter them elsewhere in your garden.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...672C723951B216F5D137672C723951B2&&FORM=VRDGAR

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all. New to this forum. I'm from the philadelphia area and enjoy planting flowers in a 20 foot diameter bed. I have a question for the group... This year and last year this bed was invaded and completed overcome by tall celosia and cocks crown. I have no idea where they've come from as I never planted any. Would like to move them to a plot i have in the backyard. So...
1. where do you think the invaders came from and how to get rid of them - move to a different location?
2. I understand that some of them may be self seeding. Do i have to collect the seeds for next year or just let them brown out, laydown and reseed themselves?
Thanks for any answers. Looking forward to this forum experience as I have never joined one before.
Thanks,
Greg
Welcome to the forum! I'm happy to help answer your questions about the tall celosia and cockscomb that have invaded your flower bed.

It's possible that the invaders came from neighboring gardens, or perhaps they were carried by the wind or animals. Either way, it's difficult to say for sure. To get rid of them, you can try pulling them up by the roots, making sure to remove as much of the root system as possible. If the plants have already gone to seed, you may need to be more diligent about removing the seed heads to prevent them from spreading further. Moving the plants to a different location is an option, but keep in mind that they may still spread from that location.

Some varieties of celosia and cockscomb are known to self-seed, so it's possible that they will come back on their own next year. If you want to collect the seeds, you can wait until the seed heads have turned brown and dry, and then remove them from the plant. Store the seeds in a cool, dry place until you're ready to plant them next year.

It's worth noting that both celosia and cockscomb are annual plants, which means that they complete their life cycle in one growing season. This means that any plants that do come back next year will be new plants, rather than the same ones that invaded your flower bed this year. If you do decide to let them self-seed, you may want to thin them out in the spring to prevent overcrowding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question