Can you use wild onions when cooking?

Reaction score
Country
United States
They're pretty much good to go, just treated as outcast onion cousins because of how they choose to grow in the rougher parts of towns with all sorts of running water. I find the flavor to be a bit on the strong side, but not exactly pungent and overbearing. I think if you fond them growing around your farm or yard it would be good to put them into various dishes as you cook along, but you will find that you're going to be selective and still keep your regular onions as the popular choice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
IMG_0208.JPG IMG_0209.JPG
Here are a couple pictures of our wild onions in North Carolina. Picture 1 is what sticks out of the lawn. Picture 2 is the actual onion with the dirt removed. I ate one and didn't die so I guess they are safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 28364 View attachment 28365
Here are a couple pictures of our wild onions in North Carolina. Picture 1 is what sticks out of the lawn. Picture 2 is the actual onion with the dirt removed. I ate one and didn't die so I guess they are safe.
Be careful of eating anything out of a lawn unless you know what the lawn grass has been sprayed with. Some lawn applications are systemic meaning that the product is absorbed into the roots and into the plant itself. Yours is probably fine and this is just a reminder to other readers out there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Be careful of eating anything out of a lawn unless you know what the lawn grass has been sprayed with. Some lawn applications are systemic meaning that the product is absorbed into the roots and into the plant itself. Yours is probably fine and this is just a reminder to other readers out there.

I use zero pesticides in my yard and for me to call it a lawn is quite a stretch. Your point is well taken though and we should always be aware of possible toxins. I have free range chickens in part of my yard and would never eat anything uncooked from that area. There is always the possibility of salmonella or eColi. Thanks for your reminder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
For as cheap as a bag of onions are, I would not.

But ---recall hearing of a book I'd like to get called "Stocking the wild Asparagus", about finding things in the woods etc. Foraging

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There are a few websites dedicated to "eating weeds". When I first started ID'ing the weeds in my yard, I was astounded by the quantity of edible weeds. I now grow them as part of my garden, not only are they edible, but the wildlife depends on them.

Here's one website and he also has quite a few youtube videos.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/?s=ramps

Ask a Question