Can this cantaloupe/rockmelon plant be salvaged?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I’m very new to gardening, but I recently planted some candeloupe/rockmelon seedlings, but it has been very hot in my area, and one of the seedlings isn’t looking very healthy. I’ve tried to prop the plant up the best I can with the materials available to me, and cut off most of the dead leaves. It still isn’t looking great, but I was curious if there was anything I could do for it. I’ve included some pictures of the plant. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Picture 1:
86EC0AE7-CC38-4B11-B39E-E9C86E5F1334.jpeg

Picture 2:
1B58D848-A819-4AA7-8EA3-CFD9C26ABDE9.jpeg

Picture 3:
50FA0B5F-3A8F-4E71-9096-40872D16C56C.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As easy as melons are to germinate I would start over. The main stem of your plant is dessicated. Next time don't try to prop up the plant and instead just mulch around the base of the plant. Let the plant grow a little before attempting to train it upward. Melons love the heat and bright sunshine. It appears from the pictures that the ground is saturated. Let the soil dry out a little before watering again as they don't like continuous wet soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The base of the stem is quite withered. There is little you can do for this cantaloupe (Cucumis melo cv.).

Do you live in a temperate region of Australia? If so, it is now late Summer in your area. This is very late to start most warm season crops. If your growing season is long enough to give some chance of success, then proceed. Otherwise, save your seed for next Spring.

Ask a Question