Budget friendly gardening

Reaction score
I have been trying to save money everywhere that I can. The hardest place for me to cut back is my garden. I have been looking at creative ways to still "get my fix" while not spending so much. I get plants from the local golf courses when they switch the old landscaping for newer plants. I also divide my plants to take cuttings to swap for new ones. Another great cheap way to get plants is to check the clearance shelves for perennials that are to pitiful looking to charge full price for. Most of these just need a little TLC and they will survive and thrive. They may not re-bloom this season, but with a little attention they will bloom again for the next. I also check out my local farmer's markets, flea markets and yard sales, and dollar stores. Does anybody else have any thrifty tricks of the trade that they use?

Reaction score
Wow, I had never stopped to think about this! I should have, because back in the day when I was really active gardening I used to spend a lot on this hobby. My mom often told me I spent too much on this hobby, lol. Ah well, I will try to spend much less on gardening once I start doing it again, I will do just like my in laws do.

My future sister in law told me if I waited long enough to buy tulip bulbs from the big sellers in that area, there was a big chance I could get a lot bulbs for very cheap. Of course, this comes with a risk :notworthy: If you wait and they run out of them then no tulips for you that year. I might give it a try if I move there.

Reaction score
I also try to gather seeds from things that we eat like cantaloupe and watermelon since the seeds come with the fruits when you buy them. You just have to harvest them, dry them, and store them. It's a great way to get free fruits and vegetables!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
All of those creative hints to save on the cost of gardening covers a lot of ground. Some of them I have done, like getting the sick looking plants that no one else would purchase which have been put on sale at a great reduction in price. I also get clippings when ever I can from other plants to start my own.

I have a pineapple plant growing from a pineapple we purchased for a party decoration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Check and see if your area has a plant swap. We have several in my region and I have gotten some great plants. Plant sales vary greatly on prices and quality of plants but the Master Gardener's in the county south of where I live also have a fantastic spring sale. Here are some hauls from last year.

The plant swap where I wasn't supposed to bring anything home...but still got a few things. All free.
image.jpg

The spring Master Gardener's Sale $1-3 for good sized plants. Three hostas, beebalm, heucheras, and lots of others. A total of $20.
image.jpg

Reaction score
I moved to a new area and found some garden buddies right away. Mostly by talking to neighbors and then visiting. We all tend to trade and gift off starter seedlings so it is free and a way to get interesting plants that do well locally. I have done this now a few years and we also trade off excesses in our crops.

Reaction score
I also try to gather seeds from things that we eat like cantaloupe and watermelon since the seeds come with the fruits when you buy them. You just have to harvest them, dry them, and store them. It's a great way to get free fruits and vegetables!

My dad does the same!! That's how he managed to get a lot chili and tomato plants. He has never bought seeds in his life, all the edibles he has grown were from seeds he harvested himself :) I might try doing the same once I have enough space and time to start growing plants and edibles again.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to add that you can get very nice plants from the food we eat just by putting a tip in water. A sweet potatoe is a very nice vine plant. I have also grown avocado plants from the seeds.

Ask a Question