Are there any pitfalls to doing a lawn in clover instead of grass?

Reaction score
I don't see any danger in having a lot of clover in your yard. Shouldn't do any damage to your grass or your lawn in general. I think it's perfectly safe and I have some clover in my yard as well. I just think it's pretty. No real use to me other than that. You should be fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Bees love clover, so as a beekeeper, I'm all for having as much clover around as possible! We have clover in our "lawn" and enjoy both the look and the benefits of it. Don't worry about stepping on a bee, or getting stung--the bees are so intent on getting the nectar and pollen from the clover that they just ignore humans, or move to another patch if there is a human nearby. Of course, I'm talking about honeybees, who are notoriously kind and gentle:giggle:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Don't hesitate, AZ Athena. A clover lawn sounds absolutely wonderful, I would love to have one too!:love: I've always felt that regular grass looks kind of boring and not very pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have come to believe that grass is greatly overrated. I say go for it! The bees love it so you'll always have them around to discover and pollinate your other plants, at least in the spring when it's in flower. How big is your lawn?

I don't know what kind of soil you have in AZ, alkaline or acidic, but here in Texas it is alkaline. Clover will grow just fine here, for 3 or 4 years and then cotton root rot kills it.

That's odd; I'm glad that's not the case here. The lawn here has been poorly managed since care of the property changed hands and I am thinking of replacing it with some kind of ground cover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have come to believe that grass is greatly overrated. I say go for it! The bees love it so you'll always have them around to discover and pollinate your other plants, at least in the spring when it's in flower. How big is your lawn?

That's odd; I'm glad that's not the case here. The lawn here has been poorly managed since care of the property changed hands and I am thinking of replacing it with some kind of ground cover.
Just about all of Texas is alkaline. Its starts being acidic slightly west of the Big Thicket in east Texas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Clover is pretty hardy, pretty, beneficial for bees and is great for nitrogen fixing. I say go for it. If you're keeping tons of clover you're gonna be a hit with the bees for sure. Might attract butterflies as well.

Ask a Question