Apple tree depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I planted 3 apple trees a couple of years ago and now a friend says I have planted them too deep. I planted them below the graft and at the same height as they were in the pot. He says they aren’t doing well and that the fact they have a ring of fine roots growing just below the surface of the soil proves they are too deep. Is he right?

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fruit trees should generally be planted with the graft above the soil level. As you want the growth characteristics to be controlled by the root stock and not the scion (grafted part)
As a general rule of thumb plant at the same depth as things were planted in the nursery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted 3 apple trees a couple of years ago and now a friend says I have planted them too deep. I planted them below the graft and at the same height as they were in the pot. He says they aren’t doing well and that the fact they have a ring of fine roots growing just below the surface of the soil proves they are too deep. Is he right?
Just because you planted them at the same depth as in the pot doesn't mean that they were at the correct depth in the pot.. Your friend could very well be correct. The root flare of any tree should be above soil level. Google root flare and it will show what should be done.

Ask a Question