Anigozanthos or Kangeroo Paw

Reaction score
Anigozanthos or Kangeroo Paw - this clump forming perennial originates from Australia

Kangeroo Paw Pink.jpg

There are quite a few varieties, all with exquisite flowers of this rare and unusual plant, but, as it is not readily available outside of Australia, has become a 'plant collectors' plant.

I was lucky enough to acquire some seeds of Anigozanthos Flavidus 3 years ago and my plants are now looking quite large and lush with plenty of foliage, but as yet - am still waiting to see some flowers

My yellow and orange one should be looking like this

Kangeroo Paw in gravel (yellow).jpg

My red one - like this

Kangeroo Paw bush inferno.jpg

My pink one - like this

Kangeroo Paw bush elegance.jpg

and my plain yellow one - like this

Kangeroo Paw bush bonanza.jpg

As far as I knew, when started from seed, these plants would take up to 2 years to flower, so as I haven't yet seen a single flower, am hoping that someone else has grown these plants from seed, and could perhaps have some helpful
hints and tips, on how to get them to flower or maybe it is just a matter , of being a bit more patient :)

Now that I have introduced you to this unusual plant, you may also wish to grow it, which is not as hard as it sounds, even though it is rare and unusual - just keep an eye out for the seeds, as they pop up in the most unusual places, not just Exotic Seed Suppliers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They're so pretty!:) I'm sorry that I can't help you, but I've never tried growing Anigozanthos. In fact, it's the first time when I hear of the plant. It looks very exotic to me.
There are so many interesting plants in Australia! I dream of visiting this country, I wish it wasn't so far away.

Reaction score
They're so pretty!:) I'm sorry that I can't help you, but I've never tried growing Anigozanthos. In fact, it's the first time when I hear of the plant. It looks very exotic to me.
There are so many interesting plants in Australia! I dream of visiting this country, I wish it wasn't so far away.

Glad you like them Claudine, and thank you so much for your kind thoughts, :) in wishing you could help me with the flowering problem, guess I'll just have to carry on be patient whilst hoping someone can - these sort of things, always seem to happen, when you grow rare and unusual plants, no one seems to know anything about them.

Yes, Australia would be paradise for plant lovers, particularly the rare and exotic types, plants I mean not the people :D keep saying one day I'll go there, but as yet have never been.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
On the other hand, there are so many dangerous snakes, spiders and weird animals in Australia! I would love to see some exotic and beautiful plants like Kangeroo-paw, but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't dare go to bush, it just seems too scary:p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I bought an orange kangaroo paw plant this fall. It wasn't very big and had lots of blooms. Got it for a dry bed I am redoing. Loved the way it was smothered in flowers for such a small amount of grassy part. Hopefully yours will be producing flowers in short order.

My plant came in potting mix that looked more like what I've seen cactus growing. Hopefully my quick google search might give you more expert knowledge.

Here are a couple of links I found
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1315888.htm
http://www.anbg.gov.au/anigozanthos/
http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-grow-kangaroo-paw-plants.htm.

Thanks for asking the question. After checking these sites out, I am going outside to bring my plant inside for the winter. It won't survive the winter in my zone.

Reaction score
Jewell

You have no idea, how pleased I am, to find that someone else is also growing these fabulous plants, I hope you will keep me up to date, as to how yours is progressing.

Many thanks for the extra info, found the first site to be the best :)

Mine in theory should have flowered by now, but think I have the answer, because our Winter was unusually mild last year - I forgot to cut it down :(

I notice they say that some varieties are not frost hardy, well I'm thinking, that mine must be one of the very frost hardy ones, because the Winter before last, it survived a month of severe conditions, with temperatures never reaching much above minus 12 degrees.
I was really surprised, and very pleased of course, that it did survive, as quite a few of my other plants didn't, but think you are very wise to take the precaution of bringing yours in for the Winter, especially as I'm hoping that you will post photos of yours in flower next year :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
GM, glad you found some possible answers to why your kangaroo paw didn't flower. Home Depot had quite the collection of them in a variety of colors so mine was an impulse buy. I'd seen them used in some gardening shows and magazines the last two years. This was the first time I had seen them for sale. They had been touted as being quit drought resistant. Something necessary for where it is being planted.

I'd been really slow getting it in the ground since I am killing the bed (with cardboard layered with mulch) to start it over. It takes about a season for things to get decomposed so I was premature in my purchase. The KPaw doesn't look bad in its pot and I get to enjoy the blooms now. The blooms have been extremely long lived. I'd gotten the plant the first of September in bloom.
image.jpg
There might even be some seeds in those dried pods. I'll have to look. Doesn't hurt to give them a toss into some potting soil and see what happens.

Reaction score
Jewell

Many thanks for posting the photo of your Kangeroo Paw, its a lovely one, more of an orangey red than I'd thought from your description, Knew that the blooms were extremely long lived, but, as you say, those are still the first blooms, thats an incredibly long time - can't wait for mine to get going.

Theyre right, they are extremely drought resistant and in fact don't like too much water, especially over the winter, when they are best kept on the dry side.

As you've got seeds, I would definitely plant them, don't think you could ever have too many of these beautiful plants and when I got mine, was told to sow them immediately, as apparently, they are more likely to germinate when sown as soon as they drop and the fluctuating Autumn/Winter temperatures almost guarantee success. They do take a while to come up though, and it is quite possible, you may not see a plant until around late March or April time, depending on the weather.

If you do decide to have a go with the seeds, would love to know how you get on.

Reaction score
Those are gorgeous and unusual, two of my favorite things. Thanks to all for the pictures and gata montes, good luck with yours. I will check to see if they have them at my Home Depot or if they have the seeds. Looking forward to growing some as they will complement some of the more unusual items I have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andree12

Latest Threads