Allotments

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I never heard the term Allotment or knew what it was until I watched Monty Don's "Big Dreams Small Spaces".

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Had my first allotment when I was in my 20's. Very useful space when you haven't got your own land :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Did they have allotments so soon after the relief of mafeking? LOL.

Sorry Zigs, this hot weather has got to me.

Days gone by. I used to help my dad on his, 'plot' as it was called in those days. It was about the size of a football field. Private land. No on site water, and no mechanical gadgets. We grew all our veg, some soft fruits and some flowers. Harvest time could at times be heart breaking. Nevertheless, home grown veg always tasted so much better than shop bought. Sadly dad passed away and I found I couldn't keep it going. Hard work, but happy days.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My first allotment had a well that was sunk using concrete pipe rings. It had a hand operated pump to draw the water up with. Every few pumps resulted in a "plop" as a drowned mouse was sucked up into your bucket :eek:

I remember helping to cut up a fallen Willow tree there that came down in the hurricane in 1987. Had to give it up as I moved house when we had a baby.

Ask a Question