Allotments

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Last year, you may have read a few posts from me about getting, what is called in the UK, an allotment garden, allotment for short.
These are areas of council-owned land divided up into (nominally) 300 sq yard blocks for people interested, to grow their own fruit/vegetables/flowers for nominal rent.
Well when I got it, it was like Borneo jungle, but I quickly tamed it, and right now, except for a areas where there are cabbages, onions etc. growing, it is absolutely weed-free and tilled, ready for spring planting.
Anyway, the bloke next to me has given his up, and what a mess he's left.
A smashing area for growing, 90% of it getting every moment of sunshine growing, and no-one who was offered it would take it on.
So rather than let it lie derelict, I asked the committee if they couldn't find anyone, if I could have it.
So I now have TWO allotments, another 6x8 greenhouse to refurbish, and we're heading toward food security.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Last year, you may have read a few posts from me about getting, what is called in the UK, an allotment garden, allotment for short.
These are areas of council-owned land divided up into (nominally) 300 sq yard blocks for people interested, to grow their own fruit/vegetables/flowers for nominal rent.
Well when I got it, it was like Borneo jungle, but I quickly tamed it, and right now, except for a areas where there are cabbages, onions etc. growing, it is absolutely weed-free and tilled, ready for spring planting.
A smashing area for growing, 90% of it getting every moment of sunshine growing, and no-one who was offered it would take it on.
So rather than let it lie derelict, I asked the committee if they couldn't find anyone, if I could have it.
So I now have TWO allotments, another 6x8 greenhouse to refurbish, and we're heading toward food security.
Well, this will keep you out of the pubs and as we say here "off the streets". Are you going to multi-purpose it or grow a lot of something specific?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Congratulations! Is it difficult to acquire an allotment? We have a community garden program here, but it's usually done on a private lot no one is using in a neighborhood and from time to time the gardens disappear when the landowner wants the property for something else. Someone I know is being effected this way now after growing there for years.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one Bees :):)

Councils here are meant to provide an allotment for anyone that wants one, but that's not usually the case.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Congratulations! Is it difficult to acquire an allotment? We have a community garden program here, but it's usually done on a private lot no one is using in a neighborhood and from time to time the gardens disappear when the landowner wants the property for something else. Someone I know is being effected this way now after growing there for years.
Two of our allotments are designated for disabled users, with beds raised to a height comfortable for a wheelchair user.
Obviously a number of us are willing to help with anything that a disabled person struggles with, but usually, from those I've spoken to, it's about affirming some kind of independence.
Well, this will keep you out of the pubs and as we say here "off the streets". Are you going to multi-purpose it or grow a lot of something specific?
Chuck...(n)...me? Monoculture?
I'm going to have a go at things I've never had the room to try before; celery, woodland strawberries, perhaps even passionfruit.
I'll try to make time for beer.;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Nice one Bees :):)

Councils here are meant to provide an allotment for anyone that wants one, but that's not usually the case.

How does it work @zigs? Are they in the city or in rural areas? Does it take a long time to get approved for one? How popular is this program?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Can be in the city or countryside, councils don't usually do anything unless they get badgered by a group of people, then they might find a suitable bit of land.

Lots of folk want allotments, i've had 2 in my time. The new houses that are being built hardly have any gardens with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The new houses that are being built hardly have any gardens with them.

That's amazing! I can't imagine not having a garden, it's one of the reasons why I hate apartment living. I also can't imagine having to travel somewhere away from my home in order to do my gardening. That would make me lazy! Still, there are some neighborhoods here I think could benefit from allotments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I watched these being built, nearly enough room to swing a Badger, but not much else.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-48572039.html?showcase=true&premiumA=true

I don't like it when houses are built so close together like that. I'm not crazy about townhouse floor plans either. The neighbor on one side has a large, empty back yard with nothing in it but grass that I covet. Even if you divided it in half, there would still be room for a patio. One day when I become a real estate tycoon...

LOL.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't like it when houses are built so close together like that. I'm not crazy about townhouse floor plans either. The neighbor on one side has a large, empty back yard with nothing in it but grass that I covet. Even if you divided it in half, there would still be room for a patio. One day when I become a real estate tycoon...

LOL.

This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is what it's like near me...

NewOrleansCBDfromUptownBig.jpg

UptownShotgunCamelbackGarage[1].jpg

picture-uh=11fdc8359251df3e05c943c96455f6-ps=dfeb85924fe387bab7a6e8874fd957-1424-Valmont-St-New-Orleans-LA-70115.jpg

-4759fdadc3fdc8ac.jpg

933765-1.jpg

Colorful-uptown-house-20139.jpg

IMG_1361.JPG

picture-uh=8fd7c0597c9ce55c8a1b7431ae5ee86c-ps=131aee70ae3fe1d23522ac56f9b6497c-5208-Chestnut-St-New-Orleans-LA-70115.jpg

20080622_St._Charles_St._Trolley_behind_tree_with_Mardi_Gras_beads.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I watched these being built, nearly enough room to swing a Badger, but not much else.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-48572039.html?showcase=true&premiumA=true

New homes are about the same here. Seems to be the way of new construction with homeowners associations that determine the way you can use your yard, paint your house, etc. We like our little old neighborhood with smaller homes and big yards to do with as you wish. More people seem to like the new construction with planned neighborhoods, but the old homes seem just as popular with another group of individualists.

Congrats! Can't wait to see before and aft photos of your new garden. What you accomplished last year was awe inspiring.

Ask a Question