All Vegetables to the Rear of the Bus

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@adam_ca You need to move to a house with a bit of land. Life is too short to be marred by retards and small-minded thought police!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
...I would think this ban is silly given the fact that Al Gore is a home grown US climate warrior and has told the rest of the world that his country is crusading for change.... maybe someone should write him about this and see if the man is seriously concerned for the planet or at least baby steps to help it.
He built a wall.

I don't think he'd even bother reading a letter/email any one writes to him. I would go up to his house and knock on the door to ask him these questions, but he has a huge wall that prevents me from doing that -- for now, he's an untouchable.:notworthy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@alp , easier said than done. Even though this is a big country, real estate is beyond reach for most. Just too much money.

A townhome which is like a row house can cost $750k.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
He built a wall.

I don't think he'd even bother reading a letter/email any one writes to him. I would go up to his house and knock on the door to ask him these questions, but he has a huge wall that prevents me from doing that -- for now, he's an untouchable.:notworthy:

LOL! It's like Angelina Jolie talking about parenting! Celebrity politicians are worse than any actor/actress!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@alp , easier said than done. Even though this is a big country, real estate is beyond reach for most. Just too much money.

A townhome which is like a row house can cost $750k.

Corr! I must put in an offer for the little bungalow! It's only £325K on its own plot of land!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
@adam_ca You need to move to a house with a bit of land. Life is too short to be marred by retards and small-minded thought police!
I've got a backyard, ill have 3 4' X 8' raised beds.
that should be enough to grow a fair amount of veg.

I've always wanted to go live more in the country but that's not a possibility till the kids grow up.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a backyard, ill have 3 4' X 8' raised beds.
that should be enough to grow a fair amount of veg.

I've always wanted to go live more in the country but that's not a possibility till the kids grow up.

I'm going to read this article
9 ways to transform your small garden on a budget

You could also go vertical.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
@Chuck that’s ridiculous! I have a big front gate, so I don’t have any issues with the city. I honestly haven’t even heard of this until now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Some good news from this story. After the couple with a garden in their front yard lost their case in court and the Florida Supreme court would not hear the case a state senator is attempting to pass legislation (state law) to prohibit local ordinances from restricting vegetable/fruit gardens, regardless where in the yard they are planted.

After hearing this story, I've decided to write my representatives in Tallahassee to let them know I'm watching....BTW, I did vote for them...:smuggrin:

Excerpt:

On Thursday, Bradley described local-government efforts to prevent homeowners from growing vegetables and fruit as a “vast overreach.”
But Sen. Bobby Powell, a West Palm Beach Democrat who opposed the bill, suggested it was an overreach by the state to prevent local governments throughout Florida from having such regulations.

Other opponents of the bill were Sen. Lori Berman, D-Lantana; Sen. Randolph Bracy, D-Orlando; Sen. Gary Farmer, D-Fort Lauderdale; and Sen. Perry Thurston, D-Fort Lauderdale.

A House version of the bill (HB 145), filed by Rep. Elizabeth Fetterhoff, R-DeLand, has been approved by one committee.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This inane jobsworth needs to be sacked. If I bought a piece of land and I am paying for it, I can do what I like and plant what I like. Uniformity stifled originality, creativity and ground-breaking practices. So what if I grow vegs on my land?
I TOTALLY agree, BUT it's a misconception that when you buy property, it is "yours".......NOOOOO and yes......Yes: you GET to pay taxes on it EVERY year....yes, you GET to pay for insurance to provide you with a "safety net" for when someone gets hurt on "your" land while trespassing illegally and sues YOU.....yes, you GET to adhere to HOA rules and regulations if you have one.... bla, bla, bla........and NOOOOOO: you can't do any construction, remodeling, upgrading, ect, UNTIL you pay for a permit AND get approval from people who don't make a SINGLE one of your mortgage payments and, even then, it has to be done "to code" (some codes are needed.....some are initiated by those who were dropped on their head, many, MANY times when they were infants). To say that we OWN property is like saying the United States is REALLY a democracy.......Rant over.....We return you, now, to your regularly scheduled program......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
I own a few acres of land and I can do nearly anything i want. I'm outside of town but close enough to commute. My brother was in an HOA also outside of town in the other direction, they didn't allow fences, had roaming deer that were not scared of people that would eat his plants. He literally had to chase them off with rolled up newspapers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A happy ending....

Excerpt:

A bill that will prevent local governments from passing rules against homeowners’ vegetable gardens was among 10 bills signed Monday by Gov. Ron DeSantis.

The signings came less than a week before the bills go into effect on July 1.

RELATED Longwood front-yard farmer stands by his permaculture plot: Despite distraught neighbors and mounting fines, Shon Law says he’ll continue to grow food not grass

The bill about homeowners’ vegetable gardens, HB 82, stemmed from a dispute between homeowners Hermine Ricketts and Laurence Carroll and the village of Miami Shores over an ordinance that banned front-yard vegetable gardens.

RELATED Ban on front-yard vegetable gardens: "like punching a baby"

The couple had maintained a front-yard garden for nearly two decades but uprooted their vegetables when faced with the possibility of fines.

Ask a Question