AI

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been thinking about all the worry some people have of AI taking away jobs, both blue collar and white collar jobs. And it makes sense. AI's can be given and some have been given physical bodies, the body depending on the task it is needed to preform. In some jobs it wouldn't need a physical robotic body, some it would. The list of jobs and tasks an AI could be used for is just about anything, with only a few exceptions... basically any job that would need real human emotions, although I can't really think of any paid job that really requires real human emotions. AI's don't need time off work, they don't age or go into retirement, don't get sick or have an expire date in life, they don't need to sleep and don't ask for a pay raise, they don't need a union or complain to HR, they don't need anything other then the task to be given to them to do and in some cases a robotic body.

All that said though it's not like every company is able to financially afford an AI, especially if a robotic body is required for it. And it's not any different then history, first simplistic machines took jobs, then more advanced machines and things like the invention of engines and motors. Then the internet advanced enough that many jobs were no longer required to have people do it. But for every job taken over by new technology new jobs are always created.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was referring to their "intelligence" that everyone is fawning over. Now AI paired with robots to yank weeds...that's a whole different issue(y)
That's a hard one to understand lol. You are not impressed with their intelligence, even though most likely it was AI that designed this, and is needed for it to be a reality because of AI's intelligence.. I'll stop there. 🤣

You seem to revolve all your knowledge of AI based on someone's review of the most basic free version of a AI chatbot that was made for public less then a year ago for people to play around with. That's like comparing a single engine plane to an F-35 lol.

AI was first created in the early 1950's, it's not new it's only become new to the public in very basic forms. What you don't see is everything that has been done with it that is not open to the public to be aware of by governments and others like Google, Microsoft etc.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...AI was first created in the early 1950's, it's not new it's only become new to the public in very basic forms. ...

One of my last positions with the Government involved managing a group of AI researchers. That was back in the early 90's.

We concentrated on data assessment and pattern recognition methods in the development of machine learning algorithms. Even back then, one could see the vast potential application of that technology to so many different aspects of our lives. That was 30 years ago, and I cannot even imagine how far the research has progressed since then. It is an incredible technology capable of enabling positive changes that we can't even imagine today.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
One of my last positions with the Government involved managing a group of AI researchers. That was back in the early 90's.

We concentrated on data assessment and pattern recognition methods in the development of machine learning algorithms. Even back then, one could see the vast potential application of that technology to so many different aspects of our lives. That was 30 years ago, and I cannot even imagine how far the research has progressed since then. It is an incredible technology capable of enabling positive changes that we can't even imagine today.

I asked the AI to give me some information on algorithm research from the 1990's until 2021 just to see what it would say. And asked for it to tell me how AI has evolved during the same timeframe. Keep in mind this is the basic free version not the advanced paid version, and it only has access to certain information. But I still find it impressive with the information it gave, especially that it was able to answer me in a split second. Let me know what you think!

The field of AI has undergone significant changes and advancements from the early 1990s to 2021. Here's a broad overview of how research on AI algorithms has evolved over this period:

1. **Early 1990s: Expert Systems and Symbolic AI**
- AI research in the early 1990s largely focused on symbolic AI and expert systems. These systems relied on handcrafted rules and knowledge representation to simulate human expertise in specific domains.
- Expert systems showed promise in certain applications but often struggled with handling uncertainty and adapting to new situations.

2. **Late 1990s to Early 2000s: Machine Learning and Neural Networks Resurgence**
- In the late 1990s, there was a resurgence of interest in neural networks and machine learning techniques, partly due to more powerful computing hardware and larger datasets.
- Researchers developed more efficient training algorithms, and neural networks began to show impressive results in areas like speech recognition and image classification.

3. **Mid to Late 2000s: Deep Learning and Big Data**
- The mid-2000s witnessed the emergence of deep learning, a subset of machine learning focused on neural networks with multiple layers (deep architectures).
- Advances in deep learning were fueled by the availability of big data, more sophisticated optimization techniques, and the development of GPUs that accelerated training.

4. **2010s: Deep Learning Dominance and Transfer Learning**
- Deep learning techniques, particularly convolutional neural networks (CNNs) and recurrent neural networks (RNNs), began to dominate various AI tasks, including image recognition, natural language processing, and game playing.
- Transfer learning gained prominence, allowing pre-trained models to be fine-tuned for specific tasks, saving time and resources.

5. **Late 2010s to 2021: Ethical and Responsible AI, GPT-3 and Transformers**
- In the late 2010s, attention shifted towards ethical and responsible AI development, focusing on bias mitigation, fairness, and transparency.
- Transformers, a type of neural network architecture, gained immense popularity for natural language processing tasks. The introduction of models like GPT-3 showcased the potential of large-scale language models for generating human-like text.

Throughout this period, advancements in AI algorithms were driven by a combination of theoretical insights, improved hardware, larger datasets, and innovative algorithm design. AI research transitioned from rule-based systems to data-driven approaches, leveraging machine learning and deep learning to achieve state-of-the-art results in a wide range of applications. The AI community also became increasingly aware of ethical considerations, ensuring that AI systems are developed responsibly and aligned with human values.

The evolution of AI software from 1990 to 2021 can be broken down into several key phases, each marked by significant advancements and shifts in focus. Here's a overview:

1. **Early 1990s: Expert Systems and Rule-Based AI**
- During this period, AI software mainly relied on expert systems and rule-based approaches.
- Expert systems codified human expertise in the form of rules and logical reasoning to make decisions in specific domains.
- These systems were used in fields like medical diagnosis, financial analysis, and troubleshooting.

2. **Late 1990s to Early 2000s: Machine Learning Resurgence**
- Machine learning techniques regained popularity, driven by improved algorithms and hardware.
- Decision trees, support vector machines, and Bayesian networks were applied to classification, regression, and other tasks.
- Neural networks, which had fallen out of favor, saw a resurgence with developments like backpropagation and faster training algorithms.

3. **Mid to Late 2000s: Rise of Deep Learning and Big Data**
- Deep learning gained traction, focusing on neural networks with multiple layers.
- GPUs enabled faster training of deep neural networks, leading to breakthroughs in image and speech recognition.
- Big data availability, especially in image and text data, fueled the success of deep learning techniques.

4. **2010s: Dominance of Deep Learning and Transfer Learning**
- Deep learning became the dominant paradigm, achieving state-of-the-art results in various AI tasks.
- Convolutional neural networks (CNNs) revolutionized image analysis, while recurrent neural networks (RNNs) excelled in sequential data like text and speech.
- Transfer learning emerged, allowing pre-trained models to be fine-tuned for specific tasks, reducing training time and data requirements.

5. **Late 2010s to 2021: Language Models and Transformers**
- Attention mechanisms and transformer architectures revolutionized natural language processing (NLP).
- Models like BERT, GPT-2, and GPT-3 demonstrated impressive language understanding and generation capabilities.
- These large-scale models enabled advancements in chatbots, language translation, and text summarization.

6. **Ethical Considerations and Responsible AI**
- In the later years, AI software development focused increasingly on ethical considerations.
- Researchers and developers addressed issues of bias, fairness, and transparency in AI systems.
- Efforts were made to ensure that AI technologies benefit society while minimizing potential harm.

7. **Interdisciplinary Integration and Domain-Specific AI**
- AI software began to integrate knowledge from various fields, including psychology, neuroscience, and linguistics.
- Domain-specific AI solutions emerged, such as self-driving cars, medical diagnosis systems, and industrial automation.

Throughout this evolution, AI software transitioned from rule-based systems to data-driven approaches, with machine learning and deep learning at the forefront. The availability of large datasets, faster hardware, and more sophisticated algorithms played pivotal roles in driving advancements. Additionally, AI software started to tackle more complex tasks like language understanding and generation, leading to the development of applications that interact with humans in natural ways.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's a hard one to understand lol. You are not impressed with their intelligence, even though most likely it was AI that designed this, and is needed for it to be a reality because of AI's intelligence.. I'll stop there. 🤣

You seem to revolve all your knowledge of AI based on someone's review of the most basic free version of a AI chatbot that was made for public less then a year ago for people to play around with. That's like comparing a single engine plane to an F-35 lol.

AI was first created in the early 1950's, it's not new it's only become new to the public in very basic forms. What you don't see is everything that has been done with it that is not open to the public to be aware of by governments and others like Google, Microsoft etc.

I have seen a lot more information on AI, besides that one video I linked. I only linked that one, because this is a Gardening forum.

I was speaking specifically in how people treat the information obtained from AI as gospel. See my reference about “fawning”?

I am sufficiently impressed with the technology itself as well as the future potential.

The way people talk about this technology is much the same as how they hold up “the science” as the only true answer. However, science for the most part is just theory – it's not the truth. And it's been proven wrong in many cases. Science is ever-evolving, just as AI is, so I'm just saying it's not the truth as I hear so many say (and I'm not saying that about anything I've heard on this forum).

I'm sick of the worshipping of science and now the worshipping of AI. But that, by no means, should be taken as me being anti-science, nor am I anti-AI. I'm very much pro-science and technology.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have seen a lot more information on AI, besides that one video I linked. I only linked that one, because this is a Gardening forum.

I was speaking specifically in how people treat the information obtained from AI as gospel. See my reference about “fawning”?

I am sufficiently impressed with the technology itself as well as the future potential.

The way people talk about this technology is much the same as how they hold up “the science” as the only true answer. However, science for the most part is just theory – it's not the truth. And it's been proven wrong in many cases. Science is ever-evolving, just as AI is, so I'm just saying it's not the truth as I hear so many say (and I'm not saying that about anything I've heard on this forum).

I'm sick of the worshipping of science and now the worshipping of AI. But that, by no means, should be taken as me being anti-science, nor am I anti-AI. I'm very much pro-science and technology.
It is a garden forum but general chat is placed in forums so people can be people and discus other things, like this.

I get what you are saying but science is not wrong, it's people who make mistakes using science. Just like math is only wrong if someone does it wrong.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Read your Bibles.... Ai is a necessary evil for the NWO. Pay attention.

According to the book of Revelation NWO is inevitable, if you are a Christian and believe. But that doesn't mean AI is evil, not anymore then a car is not considered evil if someone drives it into a crowd of people.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I asked the AI to give me some information on algorithm research from the 1990's until 2021 just to see what it would say. And asked for it to tell me how AI has evolved during the same timeframe.

That is outstanding research. Very impressive. Quite an evolution. Thank you for posting that.

I really enjoyed reading through it but felt somewhat "left behind" in that my experience was on expert systems and the field has come so far since then. Amazing evolution and even more amazing what the future holds.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That is outstanding research. Very impressive. Quite an evolution. Thank you for posting that.

I really enjoyed reading through it but felt somewhat "left behind" in that my experience was on expert systems and the field has come so far since then. Amazing evolution and even more amazing what the future holds.
I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. :)

I wouldn't feel left behind if I were you, you experienced something incredibly significant at a time many people had no idea of it's existence other then sci-fi movies. And because it really just became accessable to public recently you can jump back in. You are also lucky because being in the USA you have access to Google's BARD. It's not in Canada thanks to the stupid feud between google and the Canadian government regarding online news.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@A. Lyric here is a basic tatorial on chatgpt3. It is about 8 months old and a lot has happened since then but this is a good start for you. Hope it helps. I was going to post something from the OpenAI CEO explaining it but it would be really confusing if you know nothing about it.

Also some other stuff you can do with AI if you want to take a break from asking gardening questions to chatgpt and have some fun with other AI websites. These are just a few very basic examples of what's available to the public.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
100%. Now you are really making me feel left behind...and wishing I was young again so that I could spend another entire career in the field of Quantum Machine Learning. Fascinating stuff. The marriage of Quantum Mechanics and machine learning...both topics which I haven't visited in years. Thanks for that video...it really is eye opening!
I can hardly wrap my mind around this. A look at what is coming soon in AI using quantum computers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morethanonebridge

Latest Threads