About to give up on my daylilies

Reaction score
Country
United States
Every year my daylilies look beautiful in the spring and early summer. But by this time of year they look like this. I've got many of them in several areas and they all look like this by August. What can I do?
IMG-1275.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Every year my daylilies look beautiful in the spring and early summer. But by this time of year they look like this. I've got many of them in several areas and they all look like this by August. What can I do?
View attachment 84301
Is keeping a house in the other hemisphere an option? Just Kidding! I do wonder if you could pot them and "fool" them with refridgeration or greenhouse techniques that "force" the cycle. I too have similiar plants, and not just daylilies, that get scarfy late in the season.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Old Daylily foliage does look tatty, even its fresh leaves aren't particularly neat or distinguished. Still the flowers make good recompense.

Feel free to trim off the brown patches and worst leaves. The real truth is any perennial border will have plants on the ascension and others on the decline throughout the season. I recommend planting a variety of other plants nearby to draw the eye away. You've clearly already started that with the Shasta daisy. maybe some mounding asters and low trailers, or summer annuals for a temporary fill.

The view will never be perfect, but the optimist will always see the flowers, while the pessimist will always see the dead leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Daylilies are perennials. Depending on the variety and the climate, they can flower from late Spring to early Autumn, but most bloom primarily in early to mid-Summer. As the name suggests, each individual flower lasts only one day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Daylilies are perennials. Depending on the variety and the climate, they can flower from late Spring to early Autumn, but most bloom primarily in early to mid-Summer. As the name suggests, each individual flower lasts only one day.
Isaac have you closed in on the Phd? I got curious and was so impressed with your pubs on the net! I wish you the best if not! You certainly have prepared a broad knowledge in support of that next genetic step. Woul you be comfortable sharing that thesis or would spies sweep in and steal your works and thus your opprtunity for academic recognition? This site does have tim d date stamps on posts. Just sayin..

Reaction score
Country
United States
Isaac have you closed in on the Phd? I got curious and was so impressed with your pubs on the net! I wish you the best if not! You certainly have prepared a broad knowledge in support of that next genetic step. Woul you be comfortable sharing that thesis or would spies sweep in and steal your works and thus your opprtunity for academic recognition? This site does have tim d date stamps on posts. Just sayin..
Uh..? ...Wha??

Seriously, I don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Mine get like that a few weeks after they bloom. It does not hurt them to just cut them all off at the soil level. I have one area which I get those really tall day lilies I will about in August or September just run the lawn mower over them, keeping the blade on high. and that is it. they come back every year going on 20 years now, no issues. and yes, part of planting perennials is to know their life span, or bloom time, and to plant other perennials to take up the void, before and after. so always something is blooming. Right now my Yellow Wax bells and fall anemenes and some phlox are blooming. Of course later variety of hydrangeas blooming now, as the earlier type are just about done. Its all a cycle in planning.

Last edited:

Ask a Question