A question about seedless cucumbers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Bushynose Plecos like zucchini? Why don't the ag books tell us these things? My overabundance of zucchini (and the dirty looks from neighbors when they find a basket of squash on their porch, mysteriously deposited overnight) just may be taken care of. Now all I have to do is find someone with a lot of bushynose fish with hunger pangs.
(Sorry, but my eggs, yolk and all, go to humans. Since hens don't swim, I think eggs are an acquired taste for fish).

Gross alert! o_O

I did not do much of my growing up in conventional places to say the least. When I was 6-7 years old (so 1964-65) my family spent some time in a very remote Turkish mountain village. I remember an overnight donkey or mule ride to get there as there were no roads.

Anyhow. Most of the houses were built on stilts. The "ground floor" was for livestock and poultry. Because one, the heat from the livestock rose and helped keep the living quarters warm. And two, the hole-in-the-floor toilet arrangement led straight to where the chickens lived. o_O

You get the idea... and yes, everyone partook in the chicken meat, and the eggs!

Having had chickens since, I can attest to the fact they will eat just about anything, including chicken meat and eggs. Godless little cannibals they are. :D

Is it just me or is this thread wandering into weird territory? Lol.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you, @LIcenter! :)

Is it just me or is this thread wandering into weird territory?
Yes, and I'm enjoying it!! :D

I suppose we could ask someone to move it to "General Chat," since we've derailed this thread. @zigs? @Becky? Would you please move this? :notworthy: :notworthy: (And change the title, if that's not too intricate?) ( :oops: I have no idea how that works!! ) But I like the sound of "Will garden for fish food." :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I've done more reading, and found a fish forum that said catfish and plecos will also eat raw yellow squash, banana, mushrooms and peeled grapes. o_O I can neither confirm nor deny this...but I'm going to try it!! ;)

Ten seconds in the tank:

0227172223.jpg

And here they come!!

0227172227a.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just wanted to update this thread, since I've experimented with new foods for the fish! :D

I cooked a bit of butternut squash, and the plecos ate it! (y) The guppies picked at it, but the plecos moved them out of the way!!

This is the big pleco. Forgive the dirty tank, he's the only one in there, and if he doesn't clean it, I'm not going to, either!! :p Seriously, he has one job...

0328172244butternut.jpg

I have learned that the guppies will eat a peeled green seedless grape. I'm pretty sure they plecos probably helped. Crappy picture, but you have to get the lighting just right to take pictures through glass. :(

0305171452Ggrape.jpg

After watching them with the green grape, I tried them with a red seedless, which I decided to cut in half and mash a little with the flat blade of the knife first. They seemed to like that better, but I didn't get pictures.(n)

I also got a picture of one of the small plecos with a cucumber!

0227172314pleco.jpg

Ask a Question