A Portuguese introduction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Indeed it does hurt them, I spent sometime clearing the dead basil from my greenhouse the other day, but this is England, we are a long way North of you. most of my gardening from now to the end of February will be about getting the soil in good shape. though there are a few things still growing.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Would you recommend me doing anything about the pots/ substrate if the plants perish?
What still grows this time of the year there?
Cheers!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are various types of lettuce, there is one of them suitable for planting any time of year. You could probably manage broad beans in a container, and it is not too late for garlic. That is nice and easy to get, you can use good cloves split from your Kitchen garlic

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hmm... Garlic, that is insteresting. 1) How big of a container? 2) Inside the house I suppose?

I am running out of good space in the kitchen. 3) I think the balcony will be too cold?

Almost time to move out of this house to find a new one. Stormy times incoming!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Garlic will be fine outside, I planted mine outside at the end of October, and this is England. You will want something 25 cm deep, or a bit more, and keep them about 15 cm apart, or just over. I say 'A bit more' and 'Just over' because most plants will pay you back if you give them something a bit more than the minimum, and they like good, rich soil that is a bit alkaline.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Garlic will be fine outside, I planted mine outside at the end of October, and this is England. You will want something 25 cm deep, or a bit more, and keep them about 15 cm apart, or just over. I say 'A bit more' and 'Just over' because most plants will pay you back if you give them something a bit more than the minimum, and they like good, rich soil that is a bit alkaline.
20221210_083043.jpg

Dear Internet Friend and Mentor Oliver Buckle,

I hope this message finds you firm and steady!
I am writting to you because I have found some life form feeding on my mint plant.

Do you have a solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do believe Chuck is right, I deal with them with a shaving brush and soap and water. The brush is not stiff enough to hurt the plants but is enough to damage the aphids, and the soapy water blocks up the holes they breath through, I realise shaving brushes are not modern equipment, don't try an electric razor! :)
A reasonably stiff paint brush would probably do the job.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hi Chuck!
Thank you for your help!
Damn Aphids...

Oliver, I will use a brush, soap, and water then. Do you recommend a ratio of water: soap?
I like your sense of humor Oliver! I might use an old toosh brush or a paint brush I have.

Cheers!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just take a bar of soap and a mug of water and wet the brush then get soap on it to make a lather, just as though I was shaving. I think a tooth brush is too stiff.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hi Oliver, how are you doing?
I will look for a shaving brush then, or one painting brush, but it has less surface area.
Thank you, once again. Much appreciated! I'll do it only on the next weekend - my current time management... still need to work on that too...
I'm here struggling with my own battles and mortality issues. We're together in this pain man!
Big hug from Portugal. Your friend, A

Ask a Question