55 more potato plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted another 55 seed potatoes. First frost is about Nov 4. A 4 month crop will be ready to harvest about Jan 30 but cold weather will probably make harvest be a month or so later. I will need to find a day soil is not frozen to dig up a few plants to see if its time to harvest new potatoes. I lay seed potatoes on soil surface then over with 2" of soil. They need to be recovered with soil every time soil gets wash away by rain.

100_5845.JPG

100_5849.JPG

100_5854.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Gary,

What type of potato; please? I'm trying Yukon gold this fall after giving up on white potatoes for years because of lack of production compared to reds. Hopeful these will reverse that trend.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gary,

What type of potato; please? I'm trying Yukon gold this fall after giving up on white potatoes for years because of lack of production compared to reds. Hopeful these will reverse that trend.

I planted Kennebec potatoes.

YOUR right about white potatoes they are hard to grow in the south I'm in TN. 65 years ago my grandfather in central Illinois grew 400 lbs of white potatoes in a 3 ft wide row 50 ft long. The best I can do is 1 lb of new potatoes per plant. I have a total of 55 + 29 = 84 plants that should grow about 80 lbs of white potatoes. White potato plants are not big producers so space them close together 4" sometimes seems to be ok but I usually do 6" apart.

RED potatoes are hot weather potatoes I get 4 lbs of new potatoes per plant but we don't like red as much as white so I don't grow many red.

Spring I am going to try yellow potatoes.

When I lived in Phoenix AZ I grew potatoes in winter Nov to Feb 28. Potatoes love 65° every day all winter. I grew 18 lb cabbage heads. Garlic was very large. Onions were large too. Tomatoes, beans, lettuce, sweet peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, best garden I ever grew . Summer, melons, sweet potatoes, okra, hot peppers love 114° full sun all day. I had 28 melons on just 1 plant. Irrigation was 12 minutes every night at 9 pm.

Last edited:

Ask a Question