Wish to learn more on Jasmines from experienced gardeners

Reaction score
Country
India
Helo all.
I am a passionate plant lover from India.
I currently stay in Goa.
Me and my wife recently got a night blooming jasmine (parijat ) as well as Raat Ki Rani Aka Lady of the night (Cestrum nocturnum).
We also have a Jasmin (Mogra ).

Also added a new Krishna Kamal (passion flower ) plant 2 months back.
I have a few queries regarding these plants..
Can some one tell me which forum should I choose?
Basically with the parijat and Raat Ki Rani I see that lots of leaves are growing.
Same with passion flower. These are dence leaves and new branches also come.
The parijat and lady of the night flowers have been with us since last 3 months and have good growth (around 4 FT ).

I give the plants ample direct sun light for 4 or 5 hours daily.
I have also provided NPK 12-61-0 twice in 15 days and had added vermicompost to the soil.
I water the plants daily.
Can any one help or at least point me to the right forum on this platform?
I am really excited to be a part of this beautiful green family.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

A review of the likely species mentioned in the OP.

Mogra (Jasminum sambac), also known as Arabian Jasmine (though it is not native to Arabia). In the Olive Family (Oleaceae)
and native to India and the Himalayas.

Parijat (Nyctanthes arbor-tristis), also known as Night-blooming Jasmine or Tree of Sorrow. In the Olive Family (Oleaceae)
and native to southern and southeastern Asia, Sumatra, and Java.

Raat Ki Rani (Cestrum nocturnum), also known as Lady-of-the-Night, Night-blooming Jessamine or Night-blooming Cestrum.
In the Nightshade Family (Solanaceae) and native to Mexico, Central America, and northern South America.

You also mention a Passionflower (Passiflora sp.) in the Passionflower Family (Passifloraceae).

In general, the care for all these plant s is similar: full sunlight, at least half a day; rich. well-draining soil, and regular irrigation.

If you are interested in growing white, fragrant flowers, similar to Jasmine, there are many others to try.
Two other common species are Common Gardenia (Gardenia jasminoides) in the Madder Family (Rubiaceae),
and Star-jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) in the Dogbane Family (Apocynaceae).

Flowers that are white or pale, and strongly scented, especially at night, have likely evolved this suite of features
in order to attract moths as pollinators.

Last edited:

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
Helo all.
I am a passionate plant lover from India.
I currently stay in Goa.
Me and my wife recently got a night blooming jasmine (parijat ) as well as Raat Ki Rani Aka Lady of the night (Cestrum nocturnum).
We also have a Jasmin (Mogra ).

Also added a new Krishna Kamal (passion flower ) plant 2 months back.
I have a few queries regarding these plants..
Can some one tell me which forum should I choose?
Basically with the parijat and Raat Ki Rani I see that lots of leaves are growing.
Same with passion flower. These are dence leaves and new branches also come.
The parijat and lady of the night flowers have been with us since last 3 months and have good growth (around 4 FT ).

I give the plants ample direct sun light for 4 or 5 hours daily.
I have also provided NPK 12-61-0 twice in 15 days and had added vermicompost to the soil.
I water the plants daily.
Can any one help or at least point me to the right forum on this platform?
I am really excited to be a part of this beautiful green family.
Hello, we grow them at Mysuru too.

Reaction score
Country
India
The only problem I am facing is that the raat ki rani (queen of the night ) is becoming more and more leafy and dence but not flowering yet. It is not less than 3.5 ft after prooning.

Reaction score
Country
India
The only problem I am facing is that my Raat Ki rani plant is becoming more leafy and dense (healthy ) but not flowering. It is around 3.5 ft after prooning and I wonder what's wrong. I have been feeding her with NPK 12-61-0 every 15 days.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Firstly, how many hours of sun does your Raat Ki Rani (Cestrum nocturnum) receive daily?

Secondly, you may be overfertilizing.
Is there a reason you are fertilizing so often, and with such an exceptionally high-phosphorus fertilizer?

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi Marc,
The plant gets around 4 ours of direct sun and around 2 hours of partial sunlight.
It is not extremely intense, rather moderately hot.
I thought that for the plant to flower, it needs fertilizer with high amount of phosphorus.
This is what most of the nursery guys are telling me here.
That's why I feed it with 12-61-0 (NPK) every 2 or 3 weeks.
Is my information wrong?
What should I try to correct this?

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
Hi Marc,
The plant gets around 4 ours of direct sun and around 2 hours of partial sunlight.
It is not extremely intense, rather moderately hot.
I thought that for the plant to flower, it needs fertilizer with high amount of phosphorus.
This is what most of the nursery guys are telling me here.
That's why I feed it with 12-61-0 (NPK) every 2 or 3 weeks.
Is my information wrong?
What should I try to correct this?
@Marck is right. The fertilizer has high phosphorus. Nitrogen and Potassium are equally important. Why not prefer 20-20-20 NPK? 20-20-20 itself is high ratio. But once in a month is enough. We don't fertilize much. Eggshells, cow dung, humic acid and sea weed extract works well. Best of all is cow dung. We have tried goat and sheep dungs. Before we tried horse dung as well. Nothing is charming as cow dung Our Parijat is shedding leaves now due to cyclone rains last year during winter time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If possible, give the plant more light. Cestrum nocturnum blooms best in full sun conditions.

Also do reduce the fertilizing frequency, and use an equally balanced formula.

Reaction score
Country
India
@Nili,
I have started to give my raat rani banana peal water (for potassium ) and it seems that the leaves are getting more healthy.
But still no signs of flowering.
By the way how tall should the tree become before expecting flowers?
Secondly, it has been 2 months since I got the sapling and it has now grown 4 ft + in height and there are branches all round. So is it too early for flowers?
One thing I must point out here, my Jasmin (mogra ) is blooming profusely and bunches of lovely fragrant flowers come every week.
I had given the same 12-61-0 NPK, same is the case with my rose plants.
So what is the exact issue here?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you have any photos to show the situation of which you speak.

Comparing your Jasminum sambac with your Cestrum nocturnum, won't reveal much, Not only are they different plants, not even closely related, but they might also be receiving different conditions in different parts of your garden, perhaps subtly so.

Also, try to reduce pruuning the plant and letting it get taller in 2022. Perhaps it can grow up into more light.

In temperate areas such as mine, Cestrum nocturnum mostly blooms in Summer. When do usually bloom in India?

Reaction score
Country
India
HI @Marc.
Same is in our country, it blooms in summer, but from very early summer.
I am posting a couple of photos for you to have a look.

Attachments

• rr1.jpg
    rr1.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 9
  • rr2.jpg
    rr2.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, Summer is still a few months away so hopefully the plant will begin to flower...

Overall, the plant looks healthy, but the light looks shaded at the time the photo was taken.
Of course, as you say it does get four hours of direct sun. Whether that is enough to insure good bloom remains to be seen.

Depending on how shadows fall, a plant might get less direct sun in Summer. This usually occurs in the Northern Hemisphere on the south side of an overhang such as a porch or tree canopy when the sun is higher in the sky during Summer.
Of course this change is more dramatic at higher latitudes, so may not be significant here.

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
@Nili,
I have started to give my raat rani banana peal water (for potassium ) and it seems that the leaves are getting more healthy.
But still no signs of flowering.
By the way how tall should the tree become before expecting flowers?
Secondly, it has been 2 months since I got the sapling and it has now grown 4 ft + in height and there are branches all round. So is it too early for flowers?
One thing I must point out here, my Jasmin (mogra ) is blooming profusely and bunches of lovely fragrant flowers come every week.
I had given the same 12-61-0 NPK, same is the case with my rose plants.
So what is the exact issue here?
I recommend organic fertilizers. 12-61-0 NPK ratio is odd. Most of the garden plants go well with 20-20-20 ratio including roses. After seeing the pics I presume that the plants are from cuttings? Or grafted one? The branches look tender and still growing it might take while to flower. Although it's the season now they can bud by May -June.
The species of parijat of ours is different. They are red stalked parijat. New stems which grew recently have been flowering from two weeks here. It's a 3+ year buddy of ours.
IMG20220325222319.jpg

Ask a Question