15 minute cities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
Australia
You might be interested in looking at C40 cities.
Thanks. I accidentally looked up C20 first and that is interesting and probably the heart of the matter. Getting the citizens of the G20 nations to sit in on economic conferences - "to improve wellbeing through inclusive growth, and not merely the pursuit of growth as an end in itself".

Reaction score
Country
Australia
America has been dealing with that since at least the 80s. It seems to have ramped up over the last decade with some cities claiming to be sanctuaries for immigrants, legal or not.

However, those claims of welcoming immigrants have been proven to be hypocrisy. When our border states have tried sending excess immigrants into these sanctuaries (located far from the border) the sanctuary government throws a fit and complain that they are unequiped to take care of the immigrants.

I'm sure you heard about how Martha's Vineyard lost it's mind when just 100 immigrants were sent there.
I'm one of those whose great grandfathers were sent to the end of the earth as convicts. Inequality is the heart of all these matters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm one of those whose great grandfathers were sent to the end of the earth as convicts. Inequality is the heart of all these matters.
And I am the grandson of legal immigrants. So what?

I'm not sure inequality has anything to do with it. Inequality is a basic fact of life. We see it in our gardens all the time, some plants grow larger than others. Some fruits grow sweeter, some flowers are brighter etc etc etc.

History has shown that the only way to make everyone equal is to share the misery. Every time equality has been enforced, it's been a disaster.

And even then, there's still some who have minds that are not equal to others.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
And I am the grandson of legal immigrants. So what?

I'm not sure inequality has anything to do with it. Inequality is a basic fact of life. We see it in our gardens all the time, some plants grow larger than others. Some fruits grow sweeter, some flowers are brighter etc etc etc.

History has shown that the only way to make everyone equal is to share the misery. Every time equality has been enforced, it's been a disaster.

And even then, there's still some who have minds that are not equal to others.
Remember slavery? My ancestor was cuffed and shoved in a ship for stealing bread to feed his family. It's all about equality.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
You might be interested in looking at C40 cities.
C20 has written the most comprehensive wish list for future cities I have seen. I look forward to them realizing their dream. I think community feedback will want something less grand and expensive but more local and equitable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Remember slavery? My ancestor was cuffed and shoved in a ship for stealing bread to feed his family. It's all about equality.
Sorry, that dog don't hunt. I'm closer to slavery than you. Ever heard of German labor camps? My grandmother stole a chicken, grandpa stole shoes, what's your point?

If you're all about equity for immigrants, there's nothing stopping you from inviting them into your home. But you don't get to make that decision for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
C20 has written the most comprehensive wish list for future cities I have seen. I look forward to them realizing their dream. I think community feedback will want something less grand and expensive but more local and equitable.
And that's the rub. The citizens should have the final say in whether or not this is the future.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sorry, that dog don't hunt. I'm closer to slavery than you. Ever heard of German labor camps? My grandmother stole a chicken, grandpa stole shoes, what's your point?

If you're all about equity for immigrants, there's nothing stopping you from inviting them into your home. But you don't get to make that decision for me.
I'm against illegal migration. I can't understand an American saying some people are more equal than others. So, I've listened to Victor Hanson on uTube to figure out what's happening there. I can now understand that illegal migration is very destructive to American citizenship and the country's unity.
I took a look at Phoenix as well and see that it has grown into a completely different place to when I was there thirty-eight years ago.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Victor Hanson on You tube?
Give me more time to sort the salesmanship from the facts - if I can.

Like Reply

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Victor Hanson on You tube?
Give me more time to sort the salesmanship from the facts - if I can.

Like Reply
If you gloss over it and leave the detail study for later I will understand. I think the C40 is a top-down effort. The bookwork and computer presentation are first class. But the examples of buildings are old, expensive and not appropriate to housing the lower income earners.

During the pandemic, migrants housed in high rise apartments in Melbourne, were locked in and couldn't go into the common corridor to catch the lifts. They were so easily confined by a few police that they felt imprisoned. To me, high-rise solutions to the housing crisis are inappropriate. We know the elevator maintenance is vital, expensive and constant. We know the air-conditioning is high maintenance and expensive. We know they develop into slums as soon as the money dries up.
By contrast, Australian women Dr. Christine Jones is championing the regenerative agriculture movement in Western Australia. She goes out to remote community halls and delivers her simple presentation of soil science findings direct to the farmers. Some of them respond so well that they take the lead in revising their practices of farming almost instantly and completely.

I think of her as 'mum' because her approach is face-to-face, and she will go out to the farm and help them develop their ideas as though she were their mother. It's possible that Australian deserts will be turned back into grasslands and woodlands if the changing climate favors us as it is doing at present. Most of the hi-tech solutions like EVs, solar and wind power won't solve climate change but soil sequestration of carbon on a huge scale will.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm against illegal migration. I can't understand an American saying some people are more equal than others. So, I've listened to Victor Hanson on uTube to figure out what's happening there. I can now understand that illegal migration is very destructive to American citizenship and the country's unity.
I took a look at Phoenix as well and see that it has grown into a completely different place to when I was there thirty-eight years ago.
More equal than others is from the book Animal Farm.

But, more broadly, every living thing is different from others. Some will thrive under conditions that will kill others. Just look at your own family? Does everyone look and act like you? Of course not, you might be a better gardener than your spouse who cooks better. Clearly not equal but that's not a bad thing by itself.

Inequalities by themselves are neither good nor bad. It's how one works with those Inequalities that determines the outcome. If you and your spouse are both fantastic gardeners but can burn a pot of boiling water, your garden efforts are wasted.

VDH certainly has a position that he pushes, but it's hard to argue his points on the merits.

Like you, I'm not opposed to immigration but it must be done with an eye towards improving a country, not just populating it. With millions trying to enter, why not pick the best? If one goes to the grocery store, does one just grab anything that is on display? Or do you find the nicest oranges and leave the rotten one? Basically allocating finite resources in the best way.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The animal farm quote was unintended, and your farm is being attacked by hungry dogs from the south.
These illegal migrants are cherry picking their destination and bypassing Mexico. Instead of a fence it would be a good idea to give them a job turning the desert to the south of the border back into grassland. The States have a bloke called Dr. James White who was the first to photograph microbes being absorbed by plant roots and spat out of hair roots as DNA to start life over again. Some feat! He had to dye the microbes! He has lots of other scientists working with him to explain the power of soil microbes. Essentially the microbes change the soil, increasing its water holding capacity and improving the plants resilience to drought. Mexico might have to build a pipeline or find underground water and plant a successful cover crop to get the project started.
When you greened the area south of the border and your own dustbowl keep going onto the prairies and Argentina's pampas. Apparently electric vehicles, wind turbines and solar panels have a ten-year life cycle after which they get dumped. How is that going to solve the CO2 problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The animal farm quote was unintended, and your farm is being attacked by hungry dogs from the south.
These illegal migrants are cherry picking their destination and bypassing Mexico.

well yes. And unfortunately encouraged by some of our congress critters and citizens who don't have to deal with the consequences.

Instead of a fence it would be a good idea to give them a job turning the desert to the south of the border back into grassland.

That's a problem for the Mexican government to deal with. We can build a fence on our side and keep the gates closed.

The States have a bloke called Dr. James White who was the first to photograph microbes being absorbed by plant roots and spat out of hair roots as DNA to start life over again. Some feat! He had to dye the microbes! He has lots of other scientists working with him to explain the power of soil microbes. Essentially the microbes change the soil, increasing its water holding capacity and improving the plants resilience to drought. Mexico might have to build a pipeline or find underground water and plant a successful cover crop to get the project started.
When you greened the area south of the border and your own dustbowl keep going onto the prairies and Argentina's pampas.
Depending on topography, irrigation canals from the Rio Grande might be easier.
Apparently electric vehicles, wind turbines and solar panels have a ten-year life cycle after which they get dumped. How is that going to solve the CO2 problem?
It doesn't. All this EV and solar green tech is just as dirty as dead dinosaur fuel. It's just in different forms.

Mind you, I'm not anti green tech. It absolutely can and does work in certain situations for certain people. But it absolutely is not a one size fits all thing, not to mention scalability and reliability problems.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Mind you, I'm not anti green tech. It absolutely can and does work in certain situations for certain people. But it absolutely is not a one size fits all thing, not to mention scalability and reliability problems.
About sixty percent of the arable land has degenerated into infertile bare land throughout the world. Think of the Steppes of Russia from the west of China to the east of Europe. The Sahara, Australia's interior, the Serengeti Plains and the Middle East. I think these were grasslands to begin with (3,000 years BC) and were overgrazed, stripped and their topsoil left to blow in the wind.
I wasn't a follower of Global Warming and when Al Gore's prediction of a six-meter rise in sea level by 2020 proved false I knew I was right. But then Vancouver reported a temperature of forty-six centigrade (115F). Now there are massive wildfires in places they have never been before.
We have to regenerate those lost grassland and woodlands back into life or the future looks aim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question