Which vegetables

Reaction score
I'm a beginner too and I've had a lot of luck with zucchini, squash, and tomatoes. They always grow very fast. I end up giving some away to neighbors and friends.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't grow onions and leeks together, because, although both alliums, they require quite different feeding regimes.

Leeks like nitrogen (hoof and horn is excellent), whereas onions like less nitrogen and more potassium (woodash).

Radishes will grow with either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wouldn't grow onions and leeks together, because, although both alliums, they require quite different feeding regimes.

Leeks like nitrogen (hoof and horn is excellent), whereas onions like less nitrogen and more potassium (woodash).

Hoof and horn? WTH is that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b

What would be a good companion plant for leeks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Organic fertiliser made from cooked ground dehydrated cattle hooves and horns obtained from slaughterhouses.
Do you know if it is marketed? The nearest slaughterhouse is about a thousand miles away. How much different is it from bonemeal?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Do you know if it is marketed? The nearest slaughterhouse is about a thousand miles away. How much different is it from bonemeal?
Bonemeal is heavy in phosphorus: typical N-P-K 3-7-0, whereas hoof and horn is predominantly nitrogen, at approx 12-2-0

Definitely marketed here, I've just put down a stone and a half (approx 10kg) for my winter brassicas which are going in late next week.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bonemeal is heavy in phosphorus: typical N-P-K 3-7-0, whereas hoof and horn is predominantly nitrogen, at approx 12-2-0

Definitely marketed here, I've just put down a stone and a half (approx 10kg) for my winter brassicas which are going in late next week.
I just checked and it is not available in US markets. I guess it will have to be blood meal and bone meal

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Shame.
Blood meal is good, but delivers the nitrogen far quicker than H&H, which delivers its nitrogen over a year, and is excellent for slow-growing, leafy crops like brassicas.

Ask a Question