All Vegetables to the Rear of the Bus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This story infuriates me...:wtf::mad:

According to a Miami Shores ordinance, homeowners can NOT grow vegetables in their front yard, only in the back...

This story dates back to 2013, but they're still fighting it as of early 2018. The lady in the below video brings up a very good point, in that the city promotes "green living", yet they have this stupid, insane ordinanceo_O

BTW, We have a young man (forgetting his name now) from Miami here on the site, but not sure if he knows about this ordinance...be curious to know....

A quick news story

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ahh yes, CrazyConure, that's who I was thinking about...thanks Chuck.

I don't live in a HOA community and I NEVER will; however, I have had a couple notices by the city concerning my yard, but so far I've been successful in countering their efforts, but if one day they ever get ornery, then I will cite a relatively new law here in Florida called the Florida Friendly Landscape Law.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Prior to getting allotments, I grew a lot of veg in my front garden.
Kids would pick raspberries from the hedge, and everyone liked to see what I was growing.
One person even called me an "inspiration!"
This is short-sighted nonsense.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Prior to getting allotments, I grew a lot of veg in my front garden.
Kids would pick raspberries from the hedge, and everyone liked to see what I was growing.
One person even called me an "inspiration!"
This is short-sighted nonsense.
;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This inane jobsworth needs to be sacked. If I bought a piece of land and I am paying for it, I can do what I like and plant what I like. Uniformity stifled originality, creativity and ground-breaking practices. So what if I grow vegs on my land?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Ridiculous! That garden has beautiful appearance.

I see person on my walk has beautified the space between the sidewalk and the roadway. Now that is imposing on property not owned by her. She is a retired school teacher. It sure looks nice. Usually the city here does little or nothing unless a resident complains.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This inane jobsworth needs to be sacked. If I bought a piece of land and I am paying for it, I can do what I like and plant what I like. Uniformity stifled originality, creativity and ground-breaking practices. So what if I grow vegs on my land?
The concern is financial dear. It is completely understandable when you realize that the money these parties think to gain with these rules in areas such as property tax or other flows has a ownership logic that does not include your ownership.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
I use to live in a condo, and 1 neighbor would complain over the tiniest detail, we had a long list for rules about what can and can't be on your front patio.
they wanted all the buildings to look uniform...

the same type of thing here... this house's front yard might be well kept and looks better then most veg gardens, but it really sticks out. it's weird, funky, atypical.

maybe this bylaw isnt "right" but its understanable.

idk if i'm allowed to put veg in my front yard, i told my GF that i wanted to make the 1 flower bed in front of the window into veg, and she was like " Nope! your ****ing up the back yard as it is, you will not have your veg patch spill into the front ! F no!"

lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
The concern is financial dear. It is completely understandable when you realize that the money these parties think to gain with these rules in areas such as property tax or other flows has a ownership logic that does not include your ownership.

I didn't follow this ...

From what I've encountered regarding condo rules is that yes, as @adam_ca says, it's about the building being uniform. It is particularly stringent in highrise condos. Townhomes have a little flexibility regarding gardens but freehold properties here, you can pretty much do anything that doesnt inferfere with your neighbours enjoyment of their property.

There are a couple people near me who grow herbs and other lovely items on the boulevards in front of their houses. For those who aren't fromhere, that is the sections between the sidewalk and the roadway. Usually about 8 to 10 feet deep by the width of the areas not covered by driveway.

I would think this ban is silly given the fact that Al Gore is a home grown US climate warrior and has told the rest of the world that his country is crusading for change.... maybe someone should write him about this and see if the man is seriously concerned for the planet or at least baby steps to help it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I didn't follow this ...
It is a observation made not just by myself, and neither is it a purely bad thing that the majority of property owners want increasing home value. The price for that is the generally agreed upon use and appearance of a property, and that agreement comes in the forms of these architectural groups, property tax payments and other odd bedfellows, even the codes used to drive higher end construction techniques and materials. Buying into such a situtation is both a choice and generally considered desirable. There are no insurance policies that promise home value increases over time, only cooperation in the community. On the other hand, people tell you what to do with your stuff. Which is why I am out of the outskirts of town a good 30 minute drive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
We do have bylaws but it is mostly to protect your neighbour. i.e. no building an ark in your suburban yard

We have very few "gated" regulated areas. Luckily most people are sensible about their property use... or you could be me, living next door to Jethro and EllieMay, in their fifties.... with a 10 foot satellite dish which has been broken for 20 years,

But there is a bonus to living side by each. Their abominations got me started gardening. First a beautiful crabapple tree carefully placed to wipe out the view of the dish... and on and on :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We do have bylaws but it is mostly to protect your neighbour. i.e. no building an ark in your suburban yard

We have very few "gated" regulated areas. Luckily most people are sensible about their property use... or you could be me, living next door to Jethro and EllieMay, in their fifties.... with a 10 foot satellite dish which has been broken for 20 years,

But there is a bonus to living side by each. Their abominations got me started gardening. First a beautiful crabapple tree carefully placed to wipe out the view of the dish... and on and on :)
We practice that informal method of privacy ourselves. When I took the fruit trees that had fungus, Beckys main complaint was that she could see across the street.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Only my second floor master bedroom faces the street.... and I can snoop to see who is tucked in before laying down myself! Yup, 1 minute a day Mrs. Kravitz!

ABNER,,,,, :)

Ask a Question