What's looking good in September 2016

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
This is a Night-Blooming Jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum) in nearly full bloom. It allows the Nectar Cafe to stay open 24 hours a day, attracting moths (whoa...really big ones) and bats and who knows what else in all that darkness. The fragrance fills the house and the neighborhood. I can almost hear the neighbors saying "where is that smell coming from?" (only in Spanish of course). The flowers are small, light green, slender trumpets that are mostly closed now in the daytime. A full moon really lights up the garden so maybe i can get a good look at what is going on during the next full moon. I don't like to turn the lights on because it makes the visitors a bit frenetic:)
View attachment 15262

How lovely Beverly. I'll google your Night Jasmine to see the flowers opened up. Do you cut it back after flowering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hi @DeborahJane, here is an up-close of the opened flowers. They are very small and let themselves be known by their fragrance and not their snazzy appearance. Gee i don't know, things grow year around here and i have a tendency to prune when something starts to get too big or smacks me in the face when i walk by. Pruning host plants is a problem because there are often caterpillars growing and eating so i let those plants grow until i know there are no caterpillars on them. I don't prune the flowers off nectar plants until they are ready to deadhead. I also prune when i want to make a growing plant bushier. The only plant i prune (on purpose) after it flowers is the Firespike. If there is a plant i need to prune severely down to the ground i do that in a period when plants are growing enthusiastically, for example the hot humid months before the rainy season. Sometimes i will see buds starting to pop out as early as 3 days after having cut back the plant. I guess you might say i am a rogue pruner.:)
P1010285.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@zigs muy buen Espanol amigo. Here they are more likely to use the word "zorrillo" (skunk) rather than tejon (badger).:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hi @DeborahJane, here is an up-close of the opened flowers. They are very small and let themselves be known by their fragrance and not their snazzy appearance. Gee i don't know, things grow year around here and i have a tendency to prune when something starts to get too big or smacks me in the face when i walk by. Pruning host plants is a problem because there are often caterpillars growing and eating so i let those plants grow until i know there are no caterpillars on them. I don't prune the flowers off nectar plants until they are ready to deadhead. I also prune when i want to make a growing plant bushier. The only plant i prune (on purpose) after it flowers is the Firespike. If there is a plant i need to prune severely down to the ground i do that in a period when plants are growing enthusiastically, for example the hot humid months before the rainy season. Sometimes i will see buds starting to pop out as early as 3 days after having cut back the plant. I guess you might say i am a rogue pruner.:)
View attachment 15272
Thanks Beverley .I have the Night Blooming Jasmine on my list of "must haves" along with a tree hydrangea, another inspiration from this forum(y). Love it. I'm bit of a rogue pruner too I think, great description. Last year I posted a photo of my Native Hibiscus or Algione Heuglia , I think that is the spelling. It's a beautiful bush with wonderful purple flowers which resemble those spinning toys you get at shows. Normally quite leggy I pruned it to be quick thick. About 6 months ago I pruned it right back and now it has triples its size which would be wonderful if it wasn't in the forefront of my Cottager Garden:mad:. Look at Me Look at Me but I can't look at anything else :confused:. I have been nurturing a standard wisteria which is just coming into shape but as it is right behind it I have to do a wander to see it. I do like to survey my garden from my verandah. I know it won't survive being moved. I think maybe the plan of action is to prune quite heavily after flowering and see if it can be a bit more discreet next year otherwise it has to try to cope with a move. In the meantime I'll take some cuttings.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@zigs muy buen Espanol amigo. Here they are more likely to use the word "zorrillo" (skunk) rather than tejon (badger).:)

Brilliant word "zorrillo"

That's going in my mental book of daft things to know in other languages along with "ich bin ein fussboden" (I am a floorboard) and "emmer" (africaans for bucket) :D

DSCI0023.JPG

DSCI0024.JPG

DSCI0025.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Very funny Zigs. 4.30 in the morning and I'm having a good chuckle. Lovely pics too.

Glad I can be daft on the dark and light side of a planet at the same time :D

As long as we don't hit the pääkytkin:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't got a clue DeborahJane, sorry! :D I'll find out for you. I have just relocated to Scotland (two weeks) from the Isle of Man and this plant is in my temporary garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@zigs said: Brilliant word "zorrillo"
That's going in my mental book of daft things to know in other languages along with "ich bin ein fussboden" (I am a floorboard) and "emmer" (africaans for bucket) :D

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: I don't know why i cannot seem to master the art of the quote. "Fussboden" is hilarious and that is going in my mental book. It sounds like it should mean something very different than "floor board". The next time i am frustrated with someone it will be "You, you, you fussboden!" :) yeah, they won't forget that. I'll bet you don't have any Huichol words in your "mental book of daft"...i'll see if i can find a good one for you, but it probably won't be as good as "Fussboden" :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't got a clue DeborahJane, sorry! :D I'll find out for you. I have just relocated to Scotland (two weeks) from the Isle of Man and this plant is in my temporary garden.

I've got one in my garden and can't for the life of me remember the name! It'll come to me... :confused:

Ask a Question