What do you do with your extra herbs?

Reaction score
My Husband and I were just talking about getting our herb garden going again. We talked about the herbs we use and how different the fresh herbs are. We have a great store by us that gets fresh clippings in every day but it is still just not the same.

Our last herb garden went out of control and we had way to much. If it was in our yard it wouldnt have been so bad but this was in our house. We decided that the best option for us would be to grow in smaller pots and then have an area to dry the extra herbs. We figured we could store them for a while dryed and in the freezer. When our plants got out of control big we could move them into the yard and if they didnt survive the move we have a supply save up to start the process all over again.

I should say that I have bad luck at moving indoor plants outdoor so that is why we made the back up plan.

What do you so with your extra herb bounty?

You can also tie herbs in bunches and hang them up to dry in a cool, dark place. Don't use the basement; that's too damp. Try hanging them in your attic or a spare bedroom, if you have one.
Then, crumble them, put them in jars and use for cooking. Some herbs, such as mint, are also great to use in tea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It doesn't happen often, but whenever I have some extra herbs, I always dry them. When they're dried, I add them to almost every meal I cook. They're healthy and I like their taste:)

Reaction score
I air dry mine(do I am going to start using the oven for some) and then I place them into a already sterilized mason jar. That way they stay nice, clean, and 'fresh' for when I need them. When they're dried, they last longer and in the mason jar alot fits!

Reaction score
We have rabbits (of the pet variety, not the pest variety) so there's no such thing as extra herbs in many cases. In fact, I brought my sage and basil in to overwinter in pots and the rabbits stripped them both bare! I do, however, make a rough potpourri or air freshener bundles from dried lavender or rosemary. They're perfect for tucking under the seats of the car, hanging in a sunny window, or otherwise keeping around for a little breath of spring when everything is closed up tight against the winter chill.

Reaction score
Extra herbs are never an issue. freeze the in butter/olive oil mixture for a quick later use when cooking. I also do mason jars of herbs as gifts at xmas time - people love to receive something they can cook with :)

Reaction score
I am thinking about starting my own little herb garden and I think that all these ideas are wonderful. I wonder why my dad never tried any of this. He grew herbs and then whatever we didn't use just got wasted. He doesn't seem to look up stuff very much before he starts things. That is why I'm on here, making sure i'll be able to do things correctly. I hate wasting food! I also agree that fresh is better than store bought, so I'm pretty excited to start. I never thought of the freezer method. It sounds like a better idea.

Reaction score
yes the freezing method is great especially when cooking in a hurry..just throw a cube or two in and your done seasoning :) Also works GREAT for using when sauteing chicken breast...and don't forget you can use the cubes to add to marinates for later use as well! :)

Reaction score
I agree with the dry-and-cut idea. Dried herbs in jars still add potent flavor to any dish (I've never heard of freezing herbs in olive oil, but I'll try that). Or, dry them by the stem and hang them upside-down in the house for some old-world kitchen charm!

Reaction score
You can compost them, the ones you don't have any other use for. ..or dry them and sell as homegrown on eBay... or at a farmer's market. Big extra if they were grown organic

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I no longer have an issue with "extra" herbs. In the recent past if I had fresh herbs from my mom or the farmer's market I couldn't use I'd have to give them away or compost them. Last year I started freezing them in olive oil and now I also use them when I make vegetable stock. Lately I have been cutting herbs to give away when swapping plants with the Facebook gardening group I recently joined.

Reaction score
I no longer have an issue with "extra" herbs. In the recent past if I had fresh herbs from my mom or the farmer's market I couldn't use I'd have to give them away or compost them. Last year I started freezing them in olive oil and now I also use them when I make vegetable stock. Lately I have been cutting herbs to give away when swapping plants with the Facebook gardening group I recently joined.

Chanell, don't you use them mostly in your voodoo spells? Haha Gotcha!

Reaction score
I normally just give them away to family, as my sister is always asking to borrow something because she lives so close to me, so i just give away what ever extra I have so that I don't waste anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chanell, don't you use them mostly in your voodoo spells? Haha Gotcha!

Hmmmm, Tommy, maybe I should. If started performing voodoo spells maybe I could win the lottery and make all my problems - as well as my enemies - go away. Time to go take a stroll through the garden to see what I have on hand in case I need to go shopping...

Reaction score
The same as mentioned - I love drying them and using them throughout the year.. or giving as gifts that way!

Ask a Question