Sunflowers with extra buds

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in Houston TX, Zone 9, and my sunflowers are growing VERY well. I am growing the Kong Sunflowers and so far, they are as tall as the garage. My question is, I thought only one flower per stalk, however I see what seems to be extra sunflower buds. I know the photo is kind of out of focus, but they look just like little flower buds. Should I leave them alone or pinch them off?

Attachments

• 20150509_123418.jpg
    20150509_123418.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 662
  • 20150510_194844 (1).jpg
    20150510_194844 (1).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 811
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I happened upon some reviews on Kong Sunflowers and the first one mentioned little ones coming out of stems , if the plants seem fine I think I would leave them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I happened upon some reviews on Kong Sunflowers and the first one mentioned little ones coming out of stems , if the plants seem fine I think I would leave them.
It is still very early in the season for sunflowers. Leave them alone. The main flower will be the biggest but you will have numerous other flowers, not quite as big that will produce excellent seeds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Very impressive. I tried to grow sunflowers this year but no signs of life. I threw down the seeds and covered with soil in a pretty busy garden. Maybe not enough sun got through or maybe I needed to take more care. This is where I tried...my red and yellow garden so they would have looked nice.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I just realized the first was on old photo so I went out in the rain and took a new one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Very impressive. I tried to grow sunflowers this year but no signs of life. I threw down the seeds and covered with soil in a pretty busy garden. Maybe not enough sun got through or maybe I needed to take more care. This is where I tried...my red and yellow garden so they would have looked nice.View attachment 6080View attachment 6081 I just realized the first was on old photo so I went out in the rain and took a new one
Sun Flowers are called Sun Flowers for a reason. They need all of the sun, from every direction, that they can get. Planting them next to a building is not the best thing to do. However, if the building is North of the plants you should still do OK. In Australia I haven't a clue as everything seems to be backwards

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Different types of sunflowers grow in different ways. These are just two plants that we grew the other year. They both had multiple flower heads.

If the heads get big and heavy, as these do, you may need to tie their stems in otherwise they will snap away from the main stem. I just ran some string around the outside of them.

P1040259.JPG

P1040239.JPG

These are single stem plants growing en masse.

P1170812.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hi Chuck. No that garden bed is not north facing but I do have another garden which gets a lot more sun. It has more sculptural shapes so maybe I'll try there next time. I agree, we are back the front to you. Thanks for your input. And Bootsy, how impressive . I love the red ones as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sunflowers made me happy to see, and I grow them every summer from seeds. At the end of the season, when the flower heads were mature, I tried to collect some seeds from the best one, and left the rest for the gold finches and orioles.

I also see many flower heads on the stem too from my sunflowers.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is a space along the back fence that is bare I may but sunflowers this year to fill that whole.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have had that experience in my garden when I had them. If you want just one then you can nip off the rest.

Ask a Question