What's this on my sunflowers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I have no clue what these are, but they are just appearing on the leaves.

IMG_2428.JPG
IMG_2429.JPG
IMG_2430.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't know what that is, but I get it every time I grow sunflowers; I could go out in my garden now and take very similar pictures on my sunflowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What's the cure? I always see flies all over the leaves. Somethings going wrong.
House flies? Or some other kind. Those white spots, do they rub off or are they permanent? This black stuff looks like a fungus to me but all those white spots are not right either. Its like the white spots might be from insects which could be a vector for a virus. Don't know. Need more info

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It shouldn't matter anymore. I pulled them out and planted a different variety because I didn't like those colors anyways. If this problem still occurs, I will go much more in depth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It shouldn't matter anymore. I pulled them out and planted a different variety because I didn't like those colors anyways. If this problem still occurs, I will go much more in depth.
I hope you used different soil. If it was a bacterial problem it could have come from the soil especially if the soil had been used before you planted sunflowers. I always put used potting soil into a compost pile for a few months before I use it again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It is the same soil :(

Is there no bacterial fungicide I can use to get rid of the bacteria?

Will planting marigolds help?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What's the cure? I always see flies all over the leaves. Somethings going wrong.
I think you could have let that plant go and it would have done just fine, like I said before I see those same marks on my sunflowers all the time, but the plant as a whole is healthy.

Curious how much you water the plant and how much sun is it getting?

On the issue of flies, that doesn't really mean anything if they are house flies, but there's a possibility it could have been another type fly which is very beneficial to the garden. And that's called the long-legged fly, which at first glance looks like a typical fly, but it truly is the unsung hero of the garden, read here (and if you look closely, they have very cool metalic colorization): http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/beneficials/beneficial-25_long-legged_flies.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I always see those long legged flies. I just can't remember if they were on the plant itself.

It gets full sun and watering when the soil is a few inches dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I always see those long legged flies. I just can't remember if they were on the plant itself.

It gets full sun and watering when the soil is a few inches dry.
I never water my sunflowers once they get beyond the seedling phase, but then again I don't grow in containers; but still you may want to water a little less with your containerized sunflowers, since sunflowers are drought tolerant and don't like wet soils.

Here are the pics, I took of three separate plants, one from a distance to show that they look just fine and then some from the leaves themselves.

Plant #1 (the tall one)

Plant #2 (the one with the fully opened flower)

Plant #3 (Even the bees don't care about the leaves)

Ask a Question