Extra fresh herbs after the season....

Reaction score
I found a neat trick a few years ago when growing herbs and having an abundance of them at the end of the season...

Freeze Fresh Herbs In Olive Oil to use when not in season. Use an empty ice cube tray...put your herbs in pour olive oil in..and freeze..>VIOLA! You have fresh frozen herbs you can just throw in when cooking!

Just thought I would share this little tidbit!

534163_601336366544554_710529942_n.jpg

Reaction score
What a fabulous idea! Then, it's easy to just drop a cube or two into your simmering marinara sauce, or whatever it might be that you are cooking. It's also a good idea to keep ice cubes of beef/chicken/turkey/whatever stock for adding a smidgen of flavor to something, but I've never thought about doing this will olive oil and herbs.

Reaction score
What a fabulous idea! Then, it's easy to just drop a cube or two into your simmering marinara sauce, or whatever it might be that you are cooking. It's also a good idea to keep ice cubes of beef/chicken/turkey/whatever stock for adding a smidgen of flavor to something, but I've never thought about doing this will olive oil and herbs.

Love the idea of the stock cubes!! Thanks for sharing that! I love herbs in olive oil because as you said, they are easy to pop in almost anything your cooking to add flavor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can also use them to make sauces and store the sauces for later. I make a lot of chicken stock when whole chickens are on sale. It is a great way to use extra herbs and vegetables!

Reaction score
I am definitely going to have to try this. I know some herbs don't freeze well by themselves so the olive oil would be a nice way to hold them together. Those cubes would be perfect to throw into soups and sauces. Now, I just have to find some ice cube trays!

Reaction score
This is an amazing idea! I think it's always a good idea to have some olive oil and fine herbs handy. I love those two! Specially for sauces! Thanks for sharing it with us, I will definitely try it!

Reaction score
I am definitely going to have to try this. I know some herbs don't freeze well by themselves so the olive oil would be a nice way to hold them together. Those cubes would be perfect to throw into soups and sauces. Now, I just have to find some ice cube trays!

If you don't have ice cube trays, you can do the same thing, but pour it into Ziploc bags instead of ice cube trays, and store them in the freezer, and you end up with this flat piece of frozen herbs that you can cut off with kitchen shears as needed.
herbs-all-year-300.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing this great idea. I have a mint plant that is not doing well and I was going to let it die now I will put it in some olive oil and freeze it or just have seasoned olive oil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Freezing fresh herbs in olive oil sounds like a wonderful idea, I'll definitely give it a try! I'll surprise my boyfriend with it. He loves eating soups, I bet he'll be willing to add fresh herbs to them:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How did your boyfriend like it Claudine? I bet it was a real treat for him. We mix herbs in olive oil quite a bit and then mix that with balsamic vinegar and have it with frenchbread. A nice and light snack.

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this idea! My husband and I recently invested in a large freezer to start lowering our grocery bill and this is a fantastic idea! I can't wait to give this a try.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How did your boyfriend like it Claudine? I bet it was a real treat for him. We mix herbs in olive oil quite a bit and then mix that with balsamic vinegar and have it with frenchbread. A nice and light snack.
This sounds SOOOO delicious!

Ask a Question