What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
No gardening, just checked the cameras.

One visitor. Seems bigger than last year. In and out in an hour. Must have been lunchtime, as the pellets in the feeder have been eaten.

IMAG0005.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I feel like it's been a long time since I have been able to do anything in the garden. A bit of weeding, cutting back the hydrangeas and cutting the lawn, once.

Overall, it has been far too wet and the grass path between the vegetable beds and the greenhouse squelches. I've not even been able to dig over the vegetable beds.

Do you think I should go ahead and get sowing in the greenhouse, or hold out a little longer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think I should go ahead and get sowing in the greenhouse, or hold out a little longer?
Depends a bit what you are growing, but I already have my first tomatoes, cucumbers and aubergines on the windowsill, the greenhouse is still a bit cold for them, but I have brassicas going out there.
Today I did nothing outside other than go shopping with the missus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Planted 2 peach trees. Removed the stumps a couple weeks ago. Planted them after work and with the time change I figure I would have plenty of sunlight. Always takes longer than expected but got done just before it started getting dark. I originally didnt want to replace them but the empty space made that area look weird. Glad I decided to replace them but that means more work but at my age I need to stay busy.

MOD

Attachments

• 20240312_184050.jpg
    20240312_184050.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a lot, went and visited a friend I don't see often, so got out there late. did a few odd bits and pieces clearing stuff up and then it started to drizzle so I went in the greenhouse. Someone gave me a lot of pots, I don't think actually peat, but peat alike. They were all stuck together and took a lot of teasing apart, but eventually I got 30 of them all separate and filled with compost. Got other stuff going on tomorrow, but I intend to plant peas in them so I can germinate indoors away from mice. I have meteor and norli sugar snaps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello, all! It's been a long time since I posted. My wife and I got so busy here with other things over the winter, so I really didn't do much outside. Spring is definitely here now. I picked up a truckload of "Moo Poo" from our local compost dealer. It's a mixture of horse, cow, and chicken manure mixed in with rich soil. I built two more raised beds as well, and today I filled them all. I also cut the grass, but I'm very disappointed with how my lawn is already being invaded by wild violets, crab grass, Bermuda grass, prickly lettuce, clover, and more. The stupid and useless granular weed killer I've used for the last two years is exactly that: stupid and useless. I am going to buy a tow-behind liquid spreader for my tractor and put down Tenacity and then try Milorganite.

As for our garden, we haven't had any issues with invaders there (for the most part). My wife and I just need to decide what we are going to plant this year.

I also cleared our back fence line of all the weeds and branches hanging over into my yard that always assault me when I cut the lawn. I managed to get Poison Ivy three times now because there is so much of it back there. Oh well. When it starts itching really bad, I'll get my battery post cleaning wire brush. That'll work well. LOL

That's about it for now. I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday and a stupendous weekend!!

Attachments

• Manure.jpg
    Manure.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Overcast now and rain coming. Got a job done I didn't know needed doing. I noticed this "Amber" clematis on the fence outside the kitchen window, was growing like mad. So I did a bit of training and tying up.

P1010618.JPG

It's quite attractive, when in bloom. It has bell shaped pale lemon flowers.
P1000557.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Propagated some rosemary and lavender, planted some alyssum in a corner under hedging as a test, sprayed the seedlings from last month and thought about seedlings to plant this month, planted some 'dark opal' basil for the kitchen windowsill

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I picked up six trees today; three Cypress trees and three Beautyberry (technically shrubs). However, I'm not sure if the Beautyberry trees are Alba, Lactea, or Welch's Pink. I'll just have to wait and see what happens when they mature. I also want to find a good species of tree to line my driveway with. I need to find a species that the roots won't destroy my driveway, so I'm guessing I'll need to find a tap root species.

I wanted to pick up some landscaping bricks to put around my flagpole, but I need to calculate how many I need first. Since my wife is out of town, I've been trying to get a lot of other projects done. I'm WAY behind on that list as well. Seems like something always comes up that ends up pulling me away from the task. Such is life.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planted peas, sugar snaps and garden., they are in peat pots in plastic boxes in a pile on the most inaccessible greenhouse shelf, if the mice do manage to reach them I'll have to resow and bring them in until they germinate.
Chainsawed a pile of logs, Cut out all the knotty bits and short ends for HK, recovered a couple of buckets of earth for the HK I am filling in. The Missus got stuck into the flower bed and I took several buckets of weeds down to the compost and broke up the sunflower stalks for the fire, sorted out the wood shed a bit and stacked all the wood I had cut, two very full, neatly stacked barrows full. Put the moisture metre on a couple of bits, already down to 20-30%, it pays to cut it short and split it, it's not just that it's ready to use, the surface area it can dry through is so much greater. Made up a couple more HK containers with wood and compost, that takes them to 2/3rds full, I decide the last third when I know what I am going to plant.

Ask a Question