What are your favorite vegetables to grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
This is amazing to know! I was looking for purple potatoes to grow since I have read that they are quite healthier for you! I haven't locate where to buy them here where I live, but would love to try growing this.

There's a place in Maine that sells All-Blue potatoes. I've grown them and they're a little funky looking. Sort of grey when mashed.They taste alot better than that stuff from the store too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just did a quick search, and it looks like most big box stores carry seed potatoes.
That is nice of you to do the search! I had a friend who lives about two hours drive away from me, and somehow she found the purple potatoes to buy. But it only happened once last year. They soon disappeared after that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I usually do container gardening because I have lived in apartments for so long. I always grew tomatoes, peppers and green onions. Last year I moved into a house but still container grew my same veggies. I may branch out a bit this year, we will see :)
Oh I forgot about the green onion! They are the easiest to grow! I just cut off the top, and push it down in the dirt half way, and they grow. I didn't have to buy green onions in the summer at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That is nice of you to do the search! I had a friend who lives about two hours drive away from me, and somehow she found the purple potatoes to buy. But it only happened once last year. They soon disappeared after that.

You're welcome. Actually I've never grown taters before, and now I'm getting a little interested in giving it a try. If anything it will be a good way to break up some ground for other future plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
I like to grow zucchetta, a very tall vining summer squash that produces 3 foot long fruits which are like zucchini, but better, firmer. I also like growing red noodle beans, which grow 1-2 ft. long. Another favorite is Giant Red Marconi Hybrid Pepper, a heavy yielder. Tomatoes are a must.
zucchetta.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like to grow zucchetta, a very tall vining summer squash that produces 3 foot long fruits which are like zucchini, but better, firmer. I also like growing red noodle beans, which grow 1-2 ft. long. Another favorite is Giant Red Marconi Hybrid Pepper, a heavy yielder. Tomatoes are a must.
View attachment 5052
Haha, this zucchetta looks hilarious! It reminds me of a snake with a really big head:LOL: Giant Red Marconi Hybrid Pepper sounds like a great plant. I've never seen it in person.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
Zucchetta is a long skinny zucchini-like squash. The long neck is completely seedless. The seeds are in the center of the small bottom bulb. I scoop the seeds out of the small bulb, then use the rest of the bulb too. I like the zucchetta better than zucchini. It is a bit firmer, has a nicer taste, and is incredibly easy to use. I don't peel it. I slice it, dice it, make sticks, or shred it. I love it roasted - I don't grill but it would be so good on a grill. It grows differently than a regular zucchini does. Zucchetta grows vines to 15 feet. It is best grown on a sturdy trellis because the fruits hang down and grow long and straight. However, they will also grow easily on the ground like pumpkins do. In that case the fruits twist and curve like a snake. Everyone who sees my garden notice the zucchetta and ask questions about it. The huge fruits are eye-catching.
View attachment 5053

Attachments

• zuchettarampicanteLR.jpg
    zuchettarampicanteLR.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 268
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
This is a photo of my actual garden trellis with one zucchetta I let get particularly large. It was about 36 inches.
2013_09_03 048 smaller.jpg

Ask a Question