What are your favorite vegetables to grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a small area in my backyard that I love to grow green beans, tomatoes, and green peppers in the summer. I love to watch them grow and although I don't produce enough for a meal, I still like doing this activity in the summer. As soon as I have some vegetables, the wild bunnies in the neighborhood beat me to it :)

What are your favorite vegetables to grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I can tell you my favorite to eat, lol. I've never (successfully) grown vegetables, just herbs and flowers. I have had some recent success with fruit and this year I am determined to grow more food - most likely greens and nightshades. It's a lot of work managing all those edible plants!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Potatoes. Without a doubt.

You can grow mass numbers very easily, inside a barrel no less. They offer plenty of food (many different ways of preparation from Mashed to Twice Baked and even Homefries!) and potatoes are so very versatile - you don't use them? They grow eyes on the spuds? Use them to grow more. They're so proliferate that you don't have to worry much, and they spread between a hungry family.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I usually do container gardening because I have lived in apartments for so long. I always grew tomatoes, peppers and green onions. Last year I moved into a house but still container grew my same veggies. I may branch out a bit this year, we will see :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Peppers, tomatoes,eggplants and okra. Just to name a few. Okra has a really neat flower. I never plan anything so if I see an open space and there's a plant hanging out I just chunk it in there. I'm going to have to work on that. Watermelons and cucumbers too. If it grows I'll take a chance with it. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Currently, I don't have a garden, but I loved growing tomatoes, pumpkins and zucchinis:) It was so exciting to watch them getting bigger! I miss it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My fav to grow are scarlet runner beans. They give a ton of large edible green pods that I have to try to keep picked while small. Excellent steamed with garlic butter and parmasean cheese. The plants are trellised to provide summer shade for a little shed and provide pretty red flowers that the humming birds love. The plants can easily get twelve feet/four meters tall. I also let the later harvest mature into dried beans I use in the winter for soups. The saved bean seeds are also for the next year to plant.

My fav to eat is edible pod peas. The markets peas are never as good as growing your own. The darn dogs unfortunately love them as much as I do and it is often a challenge to get enough for a good meal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Cucumbers are my favorite to grow. I find it amazing how they can double in size in just 24 hours. And cucumber salad is my all time bestes summer food too!

Reaction score
My favorite thing to grow are cucumber, mostly because they're the first edible I ever planted. I also like growing tomatoes and chilies, actually am looking to grow these in the future:

cut-tomatillo-1024x682.jpg

So don't be surprised if I come back later for more info on how to grow those ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I had to select a different one, Green Bell Peppers. Why? They're so versatile. From salads to subs and soups, these wonder veggies can be used nearly anywhere. Though most people concur this is indeed a fruit, I always grow them in my vegetable garden. So boooo hisss if you say it isn't a vegetable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Potatoes. Without a doubt.

You can grow mass numbers very easily, inside a barrel no less. They offer plenty of food (many different ways of preparation from Mashed to Twice Baked and even Homefries!) and potatoes are so very versatile - you don't use them? They grow eyes on the spuds? Use them to grow more. They're so proliferate that you don't have to worry much, and they spread between a hungry family.
This is amazing to know! I was looking for purple potatoes to grow since I have read that they are quite healthier for you! I haven't locate where to buy them here where I live, but would love to try growing this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is amazing to know! I was looking for purple potatoes to grow since I have read that they are quite healthier for you! I haven't locate where to buy them here where I live, but would love to try growing this.

Don't know exactly where you live, but any local farm supply store would have them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't know exactly where you live, but any local farm supply store would have them.
Thank you! I am in Michigan, smack in the middle of a big city, but will do some research soon!

Ask a Question