Watering cans, what do you like?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have yet to find a watering can that I really like.

They always seem either too slow or too fast-hard a flow.

I never seem to find one with a comfortable handle either.

Anyone able to share what works well for you?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I got one that drips out of the rose for ages when you'm finished using it :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I was lucky and found two Fiskars watering cans on sale for $5 each. They are plastic, but sturdy. The handle is comfortable, and the rose (perforated thing where the water comes out) has small enough holes to make the flow gentle, but enough of them so you don't stand for 15 minutes trying to water one pot. Each holds two gallons, which is comfortable to carry and to lift if you need to water something tall. I've used both for a year, and other than being slightly grubby, they don't show any signs of wear and tear.
If I could find more on sale, I'd buy two more!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Didn't know fiskars made watering cans. Will definitely look into this.

I need a good one for before I start using my liw flow irrigation and whenever I have rainwater.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Didn't know fiskars made watering cans. Will definitely look into this.

I need a good one for before I start using my liw flow irrigation and whenever I have rainwater.
My watering can is a 5 gallon paint bucket that I have drilled a bunch of 1/4" in the bottom of. I just put Saran Wrap in the bottom fill it up with compost tea, take it to where I want to water, pull out the plastic and commence to watering. It leaks a little some of the time but no big deal. Beats the hell out of spending $20 for a galvanized can that will rust out in 2 years

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like small, vintage watering cans made of metal. They're really pretty! I'm one of those people who always choose beauty over convenience:cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have decided that I've got to search for one with a hinged handle. I had one of those years ago, it rusted out, and now I remember that was the feature I most liked about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
My watering can is a 5 gallon paint bucket that I have drilled a bunch of 1/4" in the bottom of. I just put Saran Wrap in the bottom fill it up with compost tea, take it to where I want to water, pull out the plastic and commence to watering. It leaks a little some of the time but no big deal. Beats the hell out of spending $20 for a galvanized can that will rust out in 2 years

I have lifted 5 gallon pails but I don't think I'd want to be doing that on a regular basis. U.S. 5 gal pail full of water = 41 lbs or imperial gallons would be 50lbs per pail. That's more than a third of my body weight. No, I'm too lazy to do that but it might be good advice for some of the other gardeners here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Yippee, found one just like my old one with the hinged handle. At walmart for 12 and change. There were two there so I grabbed them both.

Lucky me!!,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I went to lowes a couple weeks ago looking for one. To my surprise, they didn't have any! Whaaat! So, i came home and ordered a 1gallon pump garden sprayer. I'm glad lowes didn't carry watering cans now because I'm in love with my sprayer. The flow is consistent and doesn't disturb newly planted seeds. It's perfect... Doesn't evaporate and I can keep it in my plant house without refilling it a bunch of times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
It seems as if folks haven't discovered how to siphon with a length of plastic tubing from a pail / bucket of water. The watering flow rate can be controlled and as the water is used the flow rate automatically slows to the already saturated soil to help eliminate run off. The other benefits, it promotes deep watering and frees both hands to pull weeds or do other necessary gardening activities while the plant is being watered.

Ask a Question