Watering cans, what do you like?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My favourite is an ancient, 2 gallon, galvanised can I inherited. It has a brass end to the spout that the rose screws on. The only thing about it is the inside of the rose is not galvanised, the actual bit with the holes in is brass, so not affected, but the holes block periodically with tiny bits of rust and I have to wash it out. It has small holes, so good for watering seeds, but one of the main things I like is that it has straight sides, so fits under water butt taps, or the end of the greenhouse gutter, easily. Plastic ones all have curved over tops to give the plastic strength, despite that it has outlasted a number of plastic ones, I think even uv resistant plastic hardens over time. I don't know its origins, but I remember it from my childhood, so it must be well over 60 years old, they hadn't refined galvanising in those days to put on a thin coat.
I currently also have three plastic ones, another two gallon with large holes in the rose, good for drenching things, a one gallon, good for watering a particular plant in the greenhouse, and a half gallon, good for things high up on shelves.

Ask a Question