Trouble getting a brushcutter going

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Apologies, but I'm not very mechanically minded. My brushcutter worked fine for a couple of hours. I then refuelled it, and it wouldn't start.
It will only fire up with the choke on and the trigger held down, but even then, it conks out after a few seconds.
The air filter seems ok, the fuel filter seems ok, the fuel is mixed correctly, the spark plug has spark. The machine is new and has only been used a handful of times.
Does anyone knowledgeable have any tips that might help?
Thank you

Edit: more info that might be relevant - the engine keeps running as long as I'm holding down the throttle, but packs in not long after I release it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
Apologies, but I'm not very mechanically minded. My brushcutter worked fine for a couple of hours. I then refuelled it, and it wouldn't start.
It will only fire up with the choke on and the trigger held down, but even then, it conks out after a few seconds.
The air filter seems ok, the fuel filter seems ok, the fuel is mixed correctly, the spark plug has spark. The machine is new and has only been used a handful of times.
Does anyone knowledgeable have any tips that might help?
Thank you

Edit: more info that might be relevant - the engine keeps running as long as I'm holding down the throttle, but packs in not long after I release it.
Your problem is you are mixing your own fuel and using unleaded gas. Buy and use only premixed true fuel in a can and never use your mix with unleaded gas. The reason is the gas has ethanol in it will sovietize the rubber and minimize the combustion. It can take a while before it becomes a problem. If you use true fuel you will be using the highest octane gas without ethanol. I have a weed eater that is over 10 years old and still kicking ass...

https://trufuel50.com/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Kind of sound like the carburetor is clogged or out of adjustment. Here when they send them out of the factory they are barely adjusted for fuel and when they get the tiniest piece of grit they wont run right and you have to have special tools to adjust the carb. On top of that some of these carburetors aren't made to be took apart and cleaned so you have to throw them away and have to buy another one.

I have a newer Husqvarna chainsaw that is a real PITA to get warmed up so it will stay running at idle because of this nonsense. Been like that since day one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks a lot for the replies. I'll adjust the carburettor and look for some pre-mixed fuel 👍

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you run a tank of true fuel the lines will clean themselves.

Not a fan myself .

Chicanic says:
"It's light, its pink, it's engineered canned fuel from the big box stores!"

I once did a deep dive into the materials used in the 2 cycle carb diaphrams. Turns out the manufacturers generally state the materials are impervious to alcohol. However this is not the case for the multi layered cardboard gaskets the diaphrams are sealed against, which become a primary source of vacuum leakage imo.But hey, paper gaskets or plastic gears are always gonna fail at some point. OP says his machine is too new for that though. Or maybe it sits a long time before use. Did OP say either way?

Last edited:

Ask a Question