Too many rabbits

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I have a rabbit problem or a terrier deficit. I hope to solve the lack of terrier later this year but the rabbits are still a problem.

I did some fencing and will reinforce that but it only helps so much. Those guys can get in anything...

Do nasturtiums repel rabbits as much as some posts on the interwebs say they do? Would inter-planting my broccoli and cabbages with nasturtiums about 1:1 give me some protection?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
shutterstock_497271892.jpg

Look at it like they are a solution instead of a problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Yeah, but walking around my yard with a rifle is frowned on with the middle school across the street. I took out about 10 last year - a few still in the nest, a few in traps, a few with a bow, one with a shovel.

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a squirrel problem. I too have neighbors close by. My go to exterminator's are air rifles. The vintage type such as Benjamin's and Sheridan's. These guns are cycled via a pump arm and are extremely accurate. They are very quiet when compared to a 22 caliber powder burner. 8 pumps maximum and as little as 4 pumps will suffice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had squirrel, rabbit, racoon and possum problems. For some reason there are a lot less rabbits and squirrels. We have an Owl that lives nearby that is allows hooting. In addition a lot of hawks seemed to have made their home nearby.

The electric fence helps a lot no more racoons or possums. My corn has yet to get invaded since the electric fence. Smaller rabbits hop through the larger openings on the electric fence. Those didnt do much damage last year so I let them hang out. Plan to put 3 foot high hardware cloth all around the garden since they tore the deer netting to get in.

Rabbits seemed to really like the cilantro seeds. Always hanging out there eating the seeds.

MOD

CLB

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a rabbit problem or a terrier deficit. I hope to solve the lack of terrier later this year but the rabbits are still a problem.

I did some fencing and will reinforce that but it only helps so much. Those guys can get in anything...

Do nasturtiums repel rabbits as much as some posts on the interwebs say they do? Would inter-planting my broccoli and cabbages with nasturtiums about 1:1 give me some protection?

For my vegetable garden, a three foot tall chicken wire fence with about 6 inches of the bottom flared to the outside so that it’s laying flat on the ground keeps rabbits, armadillos and skunks out. To keep them off of individual plants, I mix cayenne pepper with water and put it in a spray bottle. That works instantly. You’ll have to mix it kind of thin because the pepper can clog the sprayer.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I have a rabbit problem or a terrier deficit. ...
Outside dog = no rabbits, especially a terrier. Even a partially outside dog is hell on rabbits as well as other critters.

Just took in two drop offs of mixed breed. I recently lost my previous drop offs (wonderful pets highly loved by family) and needed replacements...which our dregs of society are most adept at providing.

The wild hogs were beginning to terrorize nearby and threatening garden areas...but in the first two weeks the replacements drug up 4 young hog carcasses. No more hog problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having worked in dog rescue for quite a while, I applaud you @Meadowlark for taking two in. There are so very many who have been badly let down by humans (if you can call some of them that)
Unfortunately I've now lost my two terriers, but have seemingly inherited a swarm of farm cats brought into our village by a demented divorced ex farmers wife. The cats can be a pain, but the rabbits around here don't stand a chance. The cats are not cared for properly, clearly not fed, flea treated or wormed. I haven't seen a rabbit in ages.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Need a few good cats. We had those, a few good cats, and no rabbits. But alas all gone to heaven, first the best males two years ago. Then the neighbors made note of the rabbits, asking me about our cats, sadly told them, they are gone. Last one left us in December. And yes we see rabbits. Lets hope the area foxes take charge.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't have a rabbit problem. Squirrels eat my left over deer corn in the southwest corner of my pipe fenced yard. My Pitbull/ lab mixed dog keeps most rabbits at bay. Have had a hog/pig problem in the past , but not since I rescued the dog.
I just wish she wouldn't actually catch and kill the baby rabbits and squirrels. Then I have to dispose of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I don't have a rabbit problem. Squirrels eat my left over deer corn in the southwest corner of my pipe fenced yard. My Pitbull/ lab mixed dog keeps most rabbits at bay. Have had a hog/pig problem in the past , but not since I rescued the dog.
I just wish she wouldn't actually catch and kill the baby rabbits and squirrels. Then I have to dispose of them.
we had squirrels eat break lines on our truck, and start storing nuts in car engine areas almost causing a fire. When you go through that stuff any age has to go.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Use to have Racoons eat all my Corn. No Corn but plenty of Racoon meat.

Have a Trap for Squirrels. Was shooting them with .22 Head shots. Pretty good with one hand.

Now my Son moved bunch of stock in and told me to quit shooting Squirrels with my .22.

Good idea 20ga much safer.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Use to have Racoons eat all my Corn. No Corn but plenty of Racoon meat.

Have a Trap for Squirrels. Was shooting them with .22 Head shots. Pretty good with one hand.

Now my Son moved bunch of stock in and told me to quit shooting Squirrels with my .22.

Good idea 20ga much safer.

big rockpile
My neighbor shoots squirrels with his 22. We have some happy vultures here.

Ask a Question